Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Andre.Ziegler
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Vista Sp2, Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin)

Re: Windows 8?

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

I have an issue with the trunk build and Windows 8 . Copy/paste text between host (Win7) and guest (Win8) doesn't work. Copy/paste works for Ubuntu 12.04 (guest).
Andre.Ziegler
Guest OSses: Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Vista Sp2, Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin)

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

Which build should we use? The latest trunk build or 4.2 Beta1?
misha

Post by misha »

Andre.Ziegler wrote:I have an issue which is not Win8 related. I've installed a Win7 VM in the latest trunk build and when I get an UAC prompt the Win 7 bootlogo is shown for a short time in the secure desktop. Aero Glass is enabled in the VM settings (256MB RAM).
This should be solved with 4.2 Beta 1 Host VBox installation + Guest Additions from here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50764#p232447 .
Could you give it a try and let me know whether the issue is gone for you?
misha

Post by misha »

Andre.Ziegler wrote:Which build should we use? The latest trunk build or 4.2 Beta1?
The 4.2 Beta1 build is more resent than the latest trunk build posted here, so you should use 4.2 Beta1, note however that 4.2 Beta1 Guest Additions had some issues which are now fixed with the resent Guest Additions test build posted here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50764#p232447 .

So you should use 4.2. Beta 1 VBox HOST installation + VBox Guest Additions from here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50764#p232447 .
frosh

Post by frosh »

Hello everybody!

I faced a weird problem. I can't install W8 guest on W7 host. Virtual machine doesn't boot from very first time.
I created new virtual machine, mounted iso, started machine and it didn't boot. Reset - nothing. One more - installation started. First reboot and all over again. Reset - nothing; one more and more and more and I gave up. It always hangs on black screen with W8 logo.
64bit edition (PAE/NX is disabled) is installed fine, but 32bit (PAE/NX is enabled) isn't managed. Installation on real hardware works well.

Any suggestions?

Logs are attached.
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log
(1.35 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
VBox.log
(92.93 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
misha

Post by misha »

Joey177 wrote:Sorry, I have installed Mountain Lion and no longer have the log files for the previous kernel panic. I will try to find any more problems and report them here.
So you don't have those Kernel Panic issues with Mountain Lion, do you?
Andre.Ziegler

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

misha wrote:
Andre.Ziegler wrote:I have an issue which is not Win8 related. I've installed a Win7 VM in the latest trunk build and when I get an UAC prompt the Win 7 bootlogo is shown for a short time in the secure desktop. Aero Glass is enabled in the VM settings (256MB RAM).
This should be solved with 4.2 Beta 1 Host VBox installation + Guest Additions from here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50764#p232447 .
ok, I'll test this this evening.
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

hawkeye62 wrote:The new build allows me to drag the window size to what ever I want. Thanks for the effort.

BUT, I no longer have the ability to use a bridged network adapter. When I select bridged, an error message says the adapter can't be found. If I select NAT, I can connect to the internet, but not to my local network. Prior to this latest build, I could select bridged and my actual hardware adapter would show up in the window. I could browse my local network, write and read to shared folders, etc.

Thanks for any help, Jim
I installed 4.2 Beta 1 and the guest additions. I have the same problem, my hardware network adapter is not detected, sol I cannot select bridged mode and I cannot access my local network. Release 4.1.18 worked just fine.

Regards, Jim

Update: I uninstalled 4.2 Beta 1 and re-installed it and Guest Additions. Everything now works correctly.

Thanks, Jim
Andre.Ziegler

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

Andre.Ziegler wrote:
misha wrote:
ok, I'll test this this evening.
ok, I've tested it and it works fine. Thanks :)

Now the Windows copy/past issue sucks. I can copy/past text between my Win7 host and Ubuntu VM, but not to Windows VMs.
lexxx
Guest OSses: Mostly Windows 7 and 2008 R2

Post by lexxx »

Windows 8 rtm 9200 performs very slow on vbox 4.1.16.
misha

Post by misha »

hawkeye62 wrote:
hawkeye62 wrote:The new build allows me to drag the window size to what ever I want. Thanks for the effort.

BUT, I no longer have the ability to use a bridged network adapter. When I select bridged, an error message says the adapter can't be found. If I select NAT, I can connect to the internet, but not to my local network. Prior to this latest build, I could select bridged and my actual hardware adapter would show up in the window. I could browse my local network, write and read to shared folders, etc.

Thanks for any help, Jim
I installed 4.2 Beta 1 and the guest additions. I have the same problem, my hardware network adapter is not detected, sol I cannot select bridged mode and I cannot access my local network. Release 4.1.18 worked just fine.
We've reproduced and are aware of this problem. Both host-only and bridged networking drivers do not get installed properly as well as a host reboot is requested due to VBox installer issues.
See also viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50775 and viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50809 .
This issue should be fixed soon hopefully (all our developers are currently busy with some other urgent stuff), and we'll let you know as soon as it is fixed.
The issue araises only when installing on top of some previous VBox version, so, like you say, a workaround is to uninstall VBox and then install it again.
misha

Post by misha »

lexxx wrote:Windows 8 rtm 9200 performs very slow on vbox 4.1.16.
Windows 8 rtm is not officially released, is it? In any way Windows 8 support was significantly enhanced for VBox 4.2 BETA1,
so I would try VBox 4.2 BETA1 HOST installation and use latest test build Guest Additions available here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50764#p232447 (these additions test build contains several fixes to the issues found in 4.2 BETA1 Additions).
misha

Post by misha »

Andre.Ziegler wrote:..Now the Windows copy/past issue sucks. I can copy/past text between my Win7 host and Ubuntu VM, but not to Windows VMs.
I'd suggest you to create a new topic in the "Beta Feedback" forum viewforum.php?f=15 to get more attention to this issue and to not mix it with Win8-specific things.
lexxx
Guest OSses: Mostly Windows 7 and 2008 R2

Post by lexxx »

misha,
for end-user maybe not officialy released.
VBox 4.2 BETA1 has too many bugs for now. I think i will wait.
misha

Post by misha »

lexxx wrote:misha,
for end-user maybe not officialy released...
So where did you get it from?