Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Windows 8?

Post by loukingjr »

one thing I've noticed is Metro apps run a heck of a lot better if you are logged in with a Microsoft acct.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

misha wrote:For those seeing slowdowns with Metro interface with Windows 8 Release Preview: VBox 4.1.16 was not tested against Win8 Release Preview for obvious reasons, and we indeed reproduced the slowdown issue and are now working on solving it.
I guess it doesn't affect Mac users.
brad1138

Post by brad1138 »

I seem to be the only one with this problem, but Windows 8 is taking 10-15 minutes to boot. No errors, just long boot time. It is also sluggish after boot. I run Win 7 in VB and it works fine. Host = Ubuntu 12.04

Brad
medeiom

Post by medeiom »

I too am getting noting but a black screen on Windows 8 after installing Guest Additions. I am running the latest VBox.

Is this more of a Guest Additions issue or the latest VBox version?

Thanks all!
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Both. If you need this running perfectly, then ever wait for a VBOX version with release date after the guests release date.
packzap
Primary OS: Other
Guest OSses: Win 8, Kubuntu, DOS 2.0

Post by packzap »

I concur. Do not install "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" into a Windows 8, June 2012 preview vb. It changes the screen behavior and makes it impossible to access the right side buttons to exit gracefully.
Last edited by packzap on 9. Jun 2012, 16:32, edited 2 times in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

or buy a Mac. works fine here.
Jimmy123
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Jimmy123 »

i agree with paczap
works ok if not installed the GA
With GA it works more slowly and crashes to
misha

Post by misha »

We have made some significant fixes to VBox Guest Additions for Win8, and should be able to provide you with a test build shortly.
Jimmy123
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Jimmy123 »

i am looking forward to testing this
just by the way... i am not impressed with Win 8 so far. It is just win 7 for tablets with that metro interface. But slightly faster, i will give them that. It just seems not that usable for classic desktop PC
saberman
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10

Post by saberman »

brad1138 wrote:I seem to be the only one with this problem, but Windows 8 is taking 10-15 minutes to boot. No errors, just long boot time. It is also sluggish after boot. I run Win 7 in VB and it works fine. Host = Ubuntu 12.04
Did you check the utilization of the virtualbox binary. I am running on Win 7 Ultimate x64 on an 8GB RAM machine with an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ and the first reboot during the installation process of Win 8 x86 is sitting there using 50-55% of both cores. It is also running up page faults. It is twenty minutes since the reboot and nothing is showing.
saberman
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10

Post by saberman »

saberman wrote:Did you check the utilization of the virtualbox binary. I am running on Win 7 Ultimate x64 on an 8GB RAM machine with an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ and the first reboot during the installation process of Win 8 x86 is sitting there using 50-55% of both cores. It is also running up page faults. It is twenty minutes since the reboot and nothing is showing.
It took about ten minutes for the first phase of the installation to complete from the ISO image. Then the system rebooted. Got the countdown from the virtual cd (press any key ...). The white Windows on a black background came up and stayed there.

Well I left it running overnight. It continued to use 50% of the two cores and continued to get page faults but the page faults may be a false indicator. I checked the page faults for the Win 7 X64 VM I am using now and it also has a high page fault count and continues to generate them. I don't understand why. The box has 8 GB RAM and the only thing running in it -- besides the host OS (Win 7 Ultimate x64) -- is the one VM.

Guess I'll wait for the next release of either VirtualBox or Windows 8.
Attachments
VBox.log
(81.9 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
infinidim

Post by infinidim »

brad1138 wrote:I seem to be the only one with this problem, but Windows 8 is taking 10-15 minutes to boot. No errors, just long boot time. It is also sluggish after boot. I run Win 7 in VB and it works fine. Host = Ubuntu 12.04

Brad

I have now given up with Oracle and Virtualbox as it is so slow with the latest version of Windows 8. I have now moved to VMware's VMplayer and it is much faster. Hopefully I might be able to use Virtualbox in the future as I like it quite a lot.

Infinidim 8)
christian1980
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Dos, Debian, Win Xp, Win7, Win 8

Post by christian1980 »

Latest version of Windows 8 runs fine on VirtualBox.

In fact if you install the Virtualbox Extensions Windows 8 will be very slow. Just uninstall them and it will be very fast and responsive even on a VM configured as a low end computer.
Tigerman82

Post by Tigerman82 »

I recently installed Windows 8 Release Preview 32-bit via Virtualbox. I had no problems installing it and it does run perfectly. However, as others have mentioned, once I installed Guest Additions, it became non-responsive everytime I tried to access the right-hand side menu (desktop). Once I uninstalled the guest additions, everything was fine again.

Can someone explain to me what do the guest additions do (or should do) in practice? I have 64-bit Windows running via Bootcamp (for games etc.). I intend to use Virtualbox Windows 8 for lighter stuff so do the guest additions offer anything from which the "lighter stuff" would benefit?
21.5" iMac (Mid 2010) - OS X Lion - 3.6 GHz Dual Core i5 w/ Turbo Boost - 8 Gb - Ati Radeon 5670 512 Mb