Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rseiler

Re: Windows 8?

Post by rseiler »

gramesh wrote:Thanks for your reply. I even tried win 8 CP, the same problem? :(
Did you go on to try Bridged again? As mentioned, you may have to install VB again on top of what you have and reboot to be able to enable it. BTW, you are using the latest VB, right?
gramesh

Post by gramesh »

rseiler wrote:
gramesh wrote:Thanks for your reply. I even tried win 8 CP, the same problem? :(
Did you go on to try Bridged again? As mentioned, you may have to install VB again on top of what you have and reboot to be able to enable it. BTW, you are using the latest VB, right?
Thanks for your reply, yes I tried Bridged, the same error it is showing. Sorry I did not mention VB version earlier, it is "VirtualBox-4.1.12-77245-Win".
You mean to say I shall install VB again on top of the present installation and I should "install VBox Additions" this time?
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

gramesh wrote:Thanks for your reply, yes I tried Bridged, the same error it is showing. Sorry I did not mention VB version earlier, it is "VirtualBox-4.1.12-77245-Win".
You mean to say I shall install VB again on top of the present installation and I should "install VBox Additions" this time?
No, installing it again was just an effort to get you to be able to try Bridged, since the problem that you mentioned when attempting to enable it sounded like Bridged wasn't installed.

Anyway, the additions are installed from within the VM (see the pull-down VB menu), but as you can see from this thread, you can encounter other problems getting those installed in W8. They aren't required for networking to work that I recall.
gramesh

Post by gramesh »

rseiler wrote:
gramesh wrote:Thanks for your reply, yes I tried Bridged, the same error it is showing. Sorry I did not mention VB version earlier, it is "VirtualBox-4.1.12-77245-Win".
No, installing it again was just an effort to get you to be able to try Bridged, since the problem that you mentioned when attempting to enable it sounded like Bridged wasn't installed.

Anyway, the additions are installed from within the VM (see the pull-down VB menu), but as you can see from this thread, you can encounter other problems getting those installed in W8. They aren't required for networking to work that I recall.
I had installed the VB afresh this time selecting all VB additions. This time it is allowing me to select Bridged, and no network, I took screenshots(2), please see them. Some activity is shown in the network icon at the bootom when I start the guest OS.

Also when I connect a USB in guest it is showing under devices and the USB icon but in the win explorer it is not shown. How to acces files of USB?
Also some activity is shown in the USB icon at the bottom of the screen.
I have not yet installed Guest additioins.
Meyer!

Post by Meyer! »

I found a solution how to get in safe mode, if you getting the black screen after install WDDM driver (you can use it if your video is OK):

Start the VM... Wait...
Press Win-R, type "cmd" without quotes, and press ENTER
Type "shutdown /r /o /t 00" without quotes, and press ENTER
You see the recovery screen... Now you can get into the safe mode...
martyscholes
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 7, Ubuntu, Win XP, Vista, Win 8, Mint, Pear, Several Linux Virtual Appliances

Post by martyscholes »

I just installed Windows 8 under 4.1.16 on Solaris 11 with Sun Rays and installed the latest Guest Additions.

* The Black Screen Of Death is gone. Thanks!
* Host+F gets rid of the decorations on the W8 window, but does not resize the guest "monitor." Setting the resolution manually seemed to suffice for now.
* Sun Rays do not have 3D support. At all.

That last point is interesting, because there is a disconnect in the VB GUI for W8. Part of the GUI wants 3D, but if I let it stay enabled, it warns me, "3D acceleration is not working on the current host setup so you will not be able to start the VM."

Maybe W8 demands 3D and so it simply cannot be used on Sun Ray installs.

Thanks for all of the hard work!
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Maybe this bit in the changelog for 4.1.16 is relevant to that.

•Windows Additions: don't load the WDDM driver if 3D support is not available for Windows 8 guests to keep the guest maintainable in that case (still better to miss some features than providing a blank screen).
Bill
martyscholes
Primary OS: Solaris
Guest OSses: Win 7, Ubuntu, Win XP, Vista, Win 8, Mint, Pear, Several Linux Virtual Appliances

Post by martyscholes »

BillG wrote:Maybe this bit in the changelog for 4.1.16 is relevant to that.

•Windows Additions: don't load the WDDM driver if 3D support is not available for Windows 8 guests to keep the guest maintainable in that case (still better to miss some features than providing a blank screen).
Agreed, that's what prompted me to upgrade. At the same time, it can be a little confusing with the conflicting demands of the GUI.
damian01211

Post by damian01211 »

Guys. I try to boot up win 8 customer preview 32 bits and i got this error: 0x0000005D.

Any one knows what this error mean ?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Means something going wrong. Post the log file.
RomikB

Post by RomikB »

damian01211 wrote:Guys. I try to boot up win 8 customer preview 32 bits and i got this error: 0x0000005D.
Any one knows what this error mean ?
Same problem with 32 bit or 64 bit release preview.
Attachments
VBox.log
(86.9 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

32-bit RP went on fine here, so I can't explain the above. Of course, trying to install the additions caused the usual rigmarole described in previous pages, so I uninstalled it until I have time to deal with it.
Andre.Ziegler
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Vista Sp2, Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin)

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

The VB WDDM driver crashes nearly all applications. Is there a new testing build available?

@RomikB

PAE is disabled:
EnablePAE <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
change it please and try again. Win8 only comes with a PAE kernel so PAE/NX Buit is required.
RomikB

Post by RomikB »

Now I try 32 bit version, but again error 0x0000005D
PAE enabled.
Attachments
VBox.log
(91.34 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

To save me from scrutinizing the log, did you change any of the defaults? You shouldn't need to change a single one of them if you chose Windows 8 when setting up. If you didn't, I don't see how your results could be different than mine.