Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
nelftown

Re: Windows 8?

Post by nelftown »

in windose 8 is not working public folders when you install add-on disk, you put a wrong card, or rather not put chegoto well everything works well so I would like to windose 8 was fully supported thanks in advance
sorry for the poor knowledge of the language I use a translator angliyskiyskog
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Don't expect vbox supports fully alpha or beta software. At the moment no one knows exact how the final of win8 looks like.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Here's a highly recommended trick to be able to easily get into safe mode and the rest of the F8 options. From an admin command prompt:

Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

That will enable the display the old boot menu, the one we know and love from earlier versions of Windows, not the GUI one which only comes up when it feels like it. You can simply opt to tap F8 at the boot menu to bring up the advanced menu. Yes, you do see this boot menu with every boot, but as usual you can reduce the timeout in system properties (advanced tab), and it's a lot better than the alternative method.
gramesh

Post by gramesh »

Hi,
thanks to all, after following the hints provided in this post I was able to install windows 8 in VB without any problem.
Except for networking I have no problems at all.
The system details are:
Host OS: Windows Vista Business (32 bit)
Guest OS: Windows 8 Developer preview
In the VB I selected the following settings for network:
" Under Adapter 1 selected NAT, and in Advanced Adapter type as Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM), allow VMs in promiscuous mode "
On my host OS I am connecting to internet via wireless "Atheros AR5005GS Wireless Network Adapter" and getting connected to my office network thru a proxy server without any problem.
In the guest OS the network icon is showing error. Please tell me how to configure the network in win 8?
I took some screen shots but do not know how to insert images here, Please tell me how to insert images?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I would try Bridged Network instead of NAT
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Vick

Post by Vick »

Hello, my OS config : win8 preview, oracle virtualbox 4.1.12 r77245. Before I can't use win8 server beta (.vhd). I convert with virtualbox (file,CTRL+D,Copy) to vdi and everything works perfectly (excuse my bad english). regards. Vick
mountaindreamer

Post by mountaindreamer »

Liebes Forum,
auch wenn die Chancen auf Hilfe dadurch wohl sehr gering ist, stelle ich, da mein Englisch dafür nicht reichen würde, meine Frage auf deutsch.
Ich habe die xte Maschine erstellt für Windows 8. Konfiguriert habe ich die letzte so, wie weiter unten im Forum empfohlen. Auffällig ist jedoch, dass ich keine Einstellungen unter "Beschleunigung" vornehmen kann da diese komplett deaktiviert ist. Leider brechen alle Installationsversuche mit der schon u.a. Fehlermeldung (Error Code 0xFFFFFFE6, Parameters 0x0000001F, 0x0000001F, 0x00000000, 0x81BB4E5B) ab. Kann das an der fehlenden Beschleunigung liegen? Weiß einer von Euch Abhilfe?
gramesh

Post by gramesh »

loukingjr wrote:I would try Bridged Network instead of NAT
I tried to select Bridged Adapter, but it shows an error saying no bridged network adapter is selected and at the bottom it shows Invalid settings detected.
Now how to rectify this?
I took some screenshots, but do not know how to insert the images here, please tell how to insert images?
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

gramesh wrote:
I tried to select Bridged Adapter, but it shows an error saying no bridged network adapter is selected and at the bottom it shows Invalid settings detected.
Now how to rectify this?
When you said "Under Adapter 1 selected NAT, and in Advanced Adapter type as Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM), allow VMs in promiscuous mode" earlier, did you ever try the "PCnet" ones listed in the same place? NAT is the simplest solution, and I'd be curious why/how it wouldn't work.

For Bridged, when you installed VB, did you happen to deselect the Networking section? If you run install again, ensure it's selected, and then reboot, you should have access to Bridged. Though why it's necessary to use it is another question.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

The reason I suggested Bridged was because at least on my iMac host, NAT was constantly dropping the connection on every guest I installed. And I have installed over 100 by now.
gramesh

Post by gramesh »

rseiler wrote:
gramesh wrote:
Now how to rectify this?
When you said "Under Adapter 1 selected NAT, and in Advanced Adapter type as Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM), allow VMs in promiscuous mode" earlier, did you ever try the "PCnet" ones listed in the same place? NAT is the simplest solution, and I'd be curious why/how it wouldn't work.

For Bridged, when you installed VB, did you happen to deselect the Networking section? If you run install again, ensure it's selected, and then reboot, you should have access to Bridged. Though why it's necessary to use it is another question.
Thanks for your reply. I did not install VBox Additions, as was mentioned by birdie in the first page of this post.
"Don't try to install VBox Additions - they won't install and they won't work (no workarounds exist currently)."
I tried both the PCnet options but no network either with these options.

I took some screenshots as below, please see if they can help in solving the issue.

Last edited by gramesh on 13. Apr 2012, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I have Windows 8 CP running as a guest on a Mac host with guest additions installed. They work fine. I also had Windows 8 DP installed with guest additions installed and it worked fine as well.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

@loukingjr, OK, but I don't think he's increasing his odds by using the obsolete Developer Preview at this point. He should get the Consumer Preview working first. BTW, I've never seen the NAT unreliability issue that you've seen. Maybe that's a Mac thing (he's not using a Mac though), I don't know, but in any case he's not even getting that problem: for him, the network never works in the first place.

@gramesh, I never said anything about the Additions but was instead referring to choices made when installing VB itself. What you said about Bridged sounds like the networking component was deselected at that time. Note that this does not affect NAT.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

the NAT issue could be because I run the Mac in "Stealth" mode. If certain sites can't see me once I connect they may disconnect me. I was never sure.
gramesh

Post by gramesh »

rseiler wrote:@loukingjr, OK, but I don't think he's increasing his odds by using the obsolete Developer Preview at this point. He should get the Consumer Preview working first. BTW, I've never seen the NAT unreliability issue that you've seen. Maybe that's a Mac thing (he's not using a Mac though), I don't know, but in any case he's not even getting that problem: for him, the network never works in the first place.

@gramesh, I never said anything about the Additions but was instead referring to choices made when installing VB itself. What you said about Bridged sounds like the networking component was deselected at that time. Note that this does not affect NAT.
Thanks for your reply. I even tried win 8 CP, the same problem? :(