Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
kas98
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 8

Re: Windows 8?

Post by kas98 »

birdie wrote:Some screenshots of Windows 8:
I am so so so new to this. COuld you give instructions on how to chnage these settings. under IDE Controller I only have PIIX 3 and 4 and ICH6.

I figured it out, but I am still continuing to get a Guru Meditation error after it finishes to load the files.

Thanks.
SaraSmile
Guest OSses: Xp

Post by SaraSmile »

Yeah someone should update the first post on the thread to say "The IRQ not less or Equal error is from using a SATA based controller for the HDD. Add an IDE HDD for this Preview release." so there's less confusion?
selden
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Arch linux

Post by selden »

A confusion factor is that SATA does work in some configurations.

On my laptop (a Dell E6510), running Win7 Pro x64 as host and using VirtualBox v4.1.2, I specified Win7 x64 as the configuration for the guest. It specified SATA as the default, which I left unchanged. Win8 Preview installed with no errors and runs fine. I've even moved a vhd (which I'm using to get software from host to guest) from virtual SATA port 1 to port 2 successfully (after I somehow managed to disable port 1 permanently inside Win8).

My suspicion is that different emulation code is used in VirtualBox depending on the details of the hardware in the host system, and some of those emulations are buggier than others.
Selden
grod777
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by grod777 »

Does anyone know how to get the network adapter and the sound to work with window 8.

Disregard-I got it working.
selden
Guest OSses: Arch linux

Post by selden »

I'm sorry to say, I can't help: both work for me. I specified that the guest would be Win7 x64 and those defaults worked with no tweeking. VB's NAT network didn't work until I rebooted Win8 the first time, though. Initially only Bridged network worked. I'm using VB 4.1.2 with Win7 Pro x64 as host. Here's a screengrab showing the host VB settings and what the guest sees as its hardware.
Attachments
host & guest vm net and audio devices
host & guest vm net and audio devices
capture_19092011_215758.jpg (122.11 KiB) Viewed 16531 times
Selden
jdmulloy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Win XP, Ubuntu, Fedora, Win 7

Post by jdmulloy »

rdhalstead wrote:Birdie, thank you for your effort and post. Your solution worked like a champ. The host is Solaris 11 Express running VBox 4.1.2 and Windows 8 runs nicely. Now all I have to do is figure Windows 8 out. I'm using it for iTunes to my iPad. I prefer Solaris for everything else.

Ron
Why do you need Windows 8 for this?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

jdmulloy wrote:Why do you need Windows 8 for this?
Probably because he doesn't have a Windows license and W8 can be used for free until the trial ends.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
christian1980
Guest OSses: Dos, Debian, Win Xp, Win7, Win 8

Post by christian1980 »

Hi, I've tried it (Win8 32 bit version) on my computer running Windows 7 ultimate 32 bits. I can't install it.
So I try installing it on another computer running Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. It installed fine on that computer so I exported the VM and reimported on mine but it crashes too.

The crash happens just when windows try to display the little animation on the bottom of the screen with a black screen.

I've attached the log. I don't know why it crashes. Is there a problem because the host is a 32 bit one ?????
Attachments
Windows 8-2011-09-21-18-15-14.log
(73.7 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The problem is very likely because you don't have VT-x enabled in your hosts BIOS.
enstardavid
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: W7, W8, W2008

Post by enstardavid »

Here are a consolidation of tips for getting W8 running on VB on an XP Host machine (so 32-bit).
This is a Dell E520, 2-cpu 6400@2.13GHz and 3GB RAM and it is a few years old.

There is an excellent step by step here: http://www.sysprobs.com/guide-install-w ... virtualbox
That guidance worked almost flawlessly.

In addition to those settings I found that:

1 - I had to increase the RAM set in the VB console from 512 to 1GB

2 - I had to enable the Virtualization setting in the host machine BIOS

3 - In the VB Console settings I set Bridged and the Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (otherwise no NIC)

4 - On installing the VB Guest Additions I had to set the compatibility to Windows 7 (yes - it does say that in that guy's tutorial, but I forgot)
...and you don't worry that the Guest Additions stall on the Video part.

Finally I set the NIC to a static IP on the LAN and all works as one might wish.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

But the Guest Additions don't work, why bother installing it? What do you hope to gain? Seamless mouse is the most likely reason for it and that can be obtained by enabling Absolute Pointing Device. Higher resolution isn't required much, because Windows can already do that. Dynamic resolution change and shared folders are the only two options that would make it worthwhile. Seamless is nice, but not something you use all the time, especially with a development OS.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

NMuench
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Windows XP & 8

Post by NMuench »

I've encountered 2 issues regarding Guest Additions within Windows 8.

The VirtualBox Graphics Driver and VirtualBox Device (under System Devices) are giving me a Code 37. Meaning Windows cannot initialize the driver. Uninstalling the Drivers and rebooting don't work.

I hope the next version of VirtualBox (which would be 4.1.4, I believe) has fixes for this.
cd090580

Post by cd090580 »

NMuench wrote:I hope the next version of VirtualBox (which would be 4.1.4, I believe) has fixes for this.
And also being able to virtualize Windows 8 without hardware virtualization.... like it does for win 7
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

cd090580 wrote:
NMuench wrote:I hope the next version of VirtualBox (which would be 4.1.4, I believe) has fixes for this.
And also being able to virtualize Windows 8 without hardware virtualization.... like it does for win 7
Probably won't happen. Hyper-V can't even run W8 (which requires VT-x on it's own already) and if we have to believe mpack (which I do), W8 works as far back as with VB 2.0.8. And btw, if you have a Mac and want to run OSX Server, you must have VT-x as well, else it won't run either. So nothing special with W8 requiring VT-x/AMD-V to be able to run. More and more systems have this feature.

If you want to run Windows 8, but don't have VT-x, get a separate hard drive and install it on that.

jdmulloy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Win XP, Ubuntu, Fedora, Win 7

Post by jdmulloy »

Sasquatch wrote:
cd090580 wrote:
Probably won't happen. Hyper-V can't even run W8 (which requires VT-x on it's own already) and if we have to believe mpack (which I do), W8 works as far back as with VB 2.0.8. And btw, if you have a Mac and want to run OSX Server, you must have VT-x as well, else it won't run either. So nothing special with W8 requiring VT-x/AMD-V to be able to run. More and more systems have this feature.

If you want to run Windows 8, but don't have VT-x, get a separate hard drive and install it on that.
As far as the VT-X requirement for Windows 8 at this point I think it's more a matter of it being early and VirtualBox not officially supporting it yet. I can't imagine them actually checking for it. However I can see Apple doing it, maybe it has something to do with checking to make sure you're actually running on their over priced hardware. Of course with enough work an emulator can fake anything. I'm pretty site this VT-X requirement will go away. Either there are bugs in Windows 8 that make it necessary or it's exposed some flaw in VirtualBox or both. A few years ago there was a beta of Ubuntu that wouldn't work with out VT-X. My Toshiba laptop didn't support VT-X not because of the CPU which according to Intel does support VT-X, but because the BIOS didn't support it.