Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ryleung
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, Win8

Re: Windows 8?

Post by ryleung »

snoibert wrote:I solved my problem, with the lagging VM.

The culprit was a device in device manager called "base system device" and in the device manager log I saw it is a driver from virtual box guest additions.
So the culprit for my lags was residue of uninstalled guest additions.
So how did you fix the missing device driver issue then?
snoibert
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 11.04 32bit+64bit

Post by snoibert »

I just uninstalled it and now I don't use the guest additions.
RickJDS
Guest OSses: Windows 8

Post by RickJDS »

Hi, I have it installed and it boots and I'm able to login with my Windows live ID. The only things that work when I click on them are the desktop and control panel icons. Did I do something wrong?
war59312

Post by war59312 »

Anyone else having to double click when you only should have to single click.

And having to triple click just to double click?
ryleung
Guest OSses: WinXP, Win8

Post by ryleung »

war59312 wrote:Anyone else having to double click when you only should have to single click.

And having to triple click just to double click?
My clicking behaviour is certainly a little weird. Sometimes I need an extra click, but other times I don't.

Seems to me the mouse capture is a little messed up.
BajaPaul

Post by BajaPaul »

I got the W8 Preview Build 64-bit working good now. The VirtualBox Graphics Adapter and VirtualBox Device are the only things not working under Device Manager. See Clips! I installed just using Windows 7 defaults but bumped the memory up to 1024. No other changes at all! No problems at all. Made a snapshot, changed networking NAT to bridged and bumped the video memory to 64 MB and added a processor. No problems at all. Made another snapshot & rebooted. Installed the Guest Additions under compatibility mode. BTW, You do have to "Enable absolute pointing device" to get the mouse to work properly. I have a USB mouse so I had to install the "Extension Pack" to get it working! Note, you can change the resolution, I'm using 1280 x 1024. Should be noted I am running W7 64-bit as the host.

On my first time around I made some changes to my settings before installing W8. I was getting the real bad lag problem. But I don't have it happening at all now.

Very pleased here!
Attachments
W8 Preview Settings.jpg
W8 Preview Settings.jpg (75.93 KiB) Viewed 18043 times
W8 Preview.jpg
W8 Preview.jpg (92.34 KiB) Viewed 18043 times
jdmulloy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Win XP, Ubuntu, Fedora, Win 7

Post by jdmulloy »

RickJDS wrote:Hi, I have it installed and it boots and I'm able to login with my Windows live ID. The only things that work when I click on them are the desktop and control panel icons. Did I do something wrong?
Increase your resolution. Metro apps require a minimum of 1024x768.
@BuildWindows8 wrote:Reminder..you need 1024x768 resolution for Metro style apps...hardware or virtual machine. If "apps don't run" check your screen size.
I thought it was just a glitch when it happened to me.

Still runs like crap in Virtualbox, which is why I installed it on my Laptop. I swapped out the hard drive since I had a spare SATA notebook drive. It's actually the one that came with it. 5400RPM 160GB Segate. My boot isn't nearly as fast as they've been showing in demos but it's still not too bad.

EDIT: I just tested the boot again and it actually does boot in <10 seconds from the end of POST. From reading the Windows 8 blog they achieve the extremely fast boot by essentially hibernating the core of the OS so it's a matter of reading a block from the disk, re-initializing a few things and then it's done. I'm not a huge fan of MS, but I give credit where it's due, I'm impressed, especially considering the slow HDD.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

BajaPaul wrote:Installed the Guest Additions under compatibility mode.
It's been said a few times already, the GA don't work and cause problems.
BajaPaul wrote:BTW, You do have to "Enable absolute pointing device" to get the mouse to work properly.
Really? You don't have to enable it just to get some form of seamless mouse instead?
BajaPaul wrote:I have a USB mouse so I had to install the "Extension Pack" to get it working!
Nonsense. Your USB mouse should not be required in the Guest, VB provides a mouse for you. The ExtPack only provides USB2 capabilities, VRDP and PXE boot on the Intel adapters. You should not need USB2 for a mouse. Some devices have it on the hardware requirements, but that's only to provide low latency. Without 2.0, it will work just as fine, just a bit slower in the response.
BajaPaul wrote:and added a processor.
How's Windows 8 handling the change from uniprocessor to multiprocessor? Current versions slow down considerably.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
VB12
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: XP

Post by VB12 »

In VM,you can't install guest additions.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

What's that supposed to mean?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
BajaPaul

Post by BajaPaul »

Sasquatch, I not here to get in a pissing match with you! What I mentioned above is what I did, or had to do, and it all worked for me! I was just trying to share what I figured out with others who may have a problem and want help! Obviously know-it-alls like you know everything already so don't need any help (yeah right)! Unfortunately, my images got so compressed as to be unreadable!

The GA's installed just fine for me! I installed them using the "Windows Program Compatibility Troubleshooter" on the Action Center page. My mouse was flaky until I enabled the absolute pointing device option, and, that option popped me a message that I needed to install the Extension Pack, so I did. My mouse works perfectly now in the W8 VM. Enabling another core in the VM didn't seem slower, or necessarily faster, but seeing that my host has 12 cores, it was no skin off my ass! My W8 VM seems just as responsive to me as my host!
W8 Devices.jpg
W8 Devices.jpg (73.76 KiB) Viewed 17898 times
BajaPaul

Post by BajaPaul »

W8 Performance index under Vbox! FYI, VB's video driver doesn't work so it defaults to Microsoft's Basic Driver. Actually, W8 Preview Is a pretty useful platform. I installed all the Window's live stuff, MSE, and Firefox. So you can really get a lot done using it as free OS! I find it very stable even under Vbox. So have at it!
Performance Score.jpg
Performance Score.jpg (71.26 KiB) Viewed 17897 times
snoibert
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 11.04 32bit+64bit

Post by snoibert »

Hm my mouse works flawlessly although absolute pointing device is disables and guest additions aren't installed.
selden
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Arch linux

Post by selden »

BajaPaul wrote: So you can really get a lot done using it as free OS!
Don't forget that it'll stop working in mid-March, so don't invest a lot in it that you can't afford to lose. Betas probably will last until shortly after the RTM version, but still will expire. Keeping your own work on its own virtual disk in vhd format might be appropriate, since that container format is directly mountable by Win7. Win8 and Linux, as well as by VB.
Selden
selden
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Arch linux

Post by selden »

BajaPaul,

Are you getting any Aero effects (transparency, etc)? I haven't installed the addons, so the system evaluator won't run, but I seem to be seeing many of the Aero effects. I was somewhat surprised, since they supposedly aren't enabled unless the system experience index is 3 or greater. Maybe that restriction has been removed in Win8, though.

Added later:
Indeed, a Web search revealed that the version of Aero included in Win8 does not require graphics hardware as sophisticated as is needed for Win7 or Vista.
Last edited by selden on 17. Sep 2011, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Selden