Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
selden
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Arch linux

Re: Windows 8?

Post by selden »

Sasquatch wrote: Hyper-V can't even run W8 (which requires VT-x on it's own already)
According to the Windows 8 blog, W8 runs fine under Hyper-V. Maybe you're thinking of MS Virtual PC?

See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011 ... nment.aspx
Functional:

* Hyper-V in Windows 8 Developer Preview
* Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 R2
* VMware Workstation 8.0 for Windows
* VirtualBox 4.1.2 for Windows

Non-functional:

* Microsoft Virtual PC (all versions)
* Microsoft Virtual Server (all versions)
* Windows 7 XP Mode
* VMWare Workstation 7.x or older
Selden
Vjetar
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Debian, MacOS X, Windows server 2008 R2, SuSe, Fedora, Windows 8

Post by Vjetar »

snoibert wrote:I solved my problem, with the lagging VM.

The culprit was a device in device manager called "base system device" and in the device manager log I saw it is a driver from virtual box guest additions.
So the culprit for my lags was residue of uninstalled guest additions.
"Base system device" pops up in Device manager after clean install on my machine W/O GA. Lagging also.

So I disabled troubled device and lagging is still here from time to time.
NMuench
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Windows XP & 8

Post by NMuench »

I've noticed that when I'm in "Explorer Mode," I've noticed that I hear the Device Connect sound, (although maybe not related) about a minute later the VM locks up. I think it might be related to the incompatible Guest Additions or how my VM is setup (The latter of which I doubt).

I am running Windows 7 x64 (Host) and 64-Bit (Normal) as a guest.
Vjetar
Guest OSses: Debian, MacOS X, Windows server 2008 R2, SuSe, Fedora, Windows 8

Post by Vjetar »

Your observation lead me to an interestnig experiment.

I watched MS Bulid Day #1 keynotes video, and remembered how everything on Win 8 is about "saving power". So I went to network adapted power options in my guest and unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

So far, lagging is gone.
brucefran
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 8

Post by brucefran »

I just installed Windows 8 Developer Preview 64-bit version on a MacBook air. I followed instructions I found on the Internet by GOOGLing 'Virtualbox MAC Win8" I downloaded the ISO file and then accessed it as a virtual drive under the IDE controller. It loaded fine and now works with some quirky aspects:
1. To get wireless internet access, I connected first to a wired ethernet port using the MAC USB adapter and then created a second port which I designated as 'airport'. Until I connected the wired port, the option of a second adapter was greyed out.

2. The tiles for services and for games do not work yet, but some of the tiles (internal windows programs like Explorer) do. Don't understand why but am working on it.

3. Seems to be able to access the internet by clicking on tiles that do so, but sporadically.

4. Gets stuck on some routines and does not let me get back to the tile screen. May be a keyboard or trackpad issue.

5. To slide sideways, I have to use the MAC scrolling gesture i.e. 2-finger up goes right, and down goes left. strange.

Will keep experimenting and reading what others suggest.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

jdmulloy wrote:As far as the VT-X requirement for Windows 8 at this point I think it's more a matter of it being early and VirtualBox not officially supporting it yet. I can't imagine them actually checking for it. However I can see Apple doing it, maybe it has something to do with checking to make sure you're actually running on their over priced hardware. Of course with enough work an emulator can fake anything. I'm pretty site this VT-X requirement will go away. Either there are bugs in Windows 8 that make it necessary or it's exposed some flaw in VirtualBox or both. A few years ago there was a beta of Ubuntu that wouldn't work with out VT-X. My Toshiba laptop didn't support VT-X not because of the CPU which according to Intel does support VT-X, but because the BIOS didn't support it.
I wonder, because VT-x isn't exposed in the VM. I think it has more to do with some features Windows 8 use that only work when VT-x is enabled for virtualisation. Certain CPU instructions may not be exposed without it.
selden wrote:
Sasquatch wrote: Hyper-V can't even run W8 (which requires VT-x on it's own already)
According to the Windows 8 blog, W8 runs fine under Hyper-V. Maybe you're thinking of MS Virtual PC?

See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011 ... nment.aspx
Functional:

* Hyper-V in Windows 8 Developer Preview
* Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 R2
* VMware Workstation 8.0 for Windows
* VirtualBox 4.1.2 for Windows

Non-functional:

* Microsoft Virtual PC (all versions)
* Microsoft Virtual Server (all versions)
* Windows 7 XP Mode
* VMWare Workstation 7.x or older
I only repeated what I had heard. I don't have Hyper-V, nor do I have a Windows Host. So I can't test it. If it's on the website of W8, then it has to work on those platforms. As for what they say being able to run on VMware Workstation, I just checked the VMware website and it doesn't say anything about Windows 8. If you browse a bit back in this thread, you see a link that explains that they have to 'patch' it to get it to work. VirtualBox on the other hand apparently had it going as far back as 2.0.8.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I can confirm that Windows 8 DP runs well under Hyper-V. Not tricks, no hacks. Just install and off you go.
Bill
jdmulloy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Win XP, Ubuntu, Fedora, Win 7

Post by jdmulloy »

brucefran wrote:I just installed Windows 8 Developer Preview 64-bit version on a MacBook air. I followed instructions I found on the Internet by GOOGLing 'Virtualbox MAC Win8" I downloaded the ISO file and then accessed it as a virtual drive under the IDE controller. It loaded fine and now works with some quirky aspects:
1. To get wireless internet access, I connected first to a wired ethernet port using the MAC USB adapter and then created a second port which I designated as 'airport'. Until I connected the wired port, the option of a second adapter was greyed out.

2. The tiles for services and for games do not work yet, but some of the tiles (internal windows programs like Explorer) do. Don't understand why but am working on it.

3. Seems to be able to access the internet by clicking on tiles that do so, but sporadically.

4. Gets stuck on some routines and does not let me get back to the tile screen. May be a keyboard or trackpad issue.

5. To slide sideways, I have to use the MAC scrolling gesture i.e. 2-finger up goes right, and down goes left. strange.

Will keep experimenting and reading what others suggest.
Why did you need to do tricks to get the WiFi to work? The standard Virtuality NAT configuration should have just worked.

The scrolling behavior is "normal". On the start screen an up and down scroll will scroll it sideways as you describe. For me in some metro apps the up/down scrolling works. In others no scrolling works. I don't think I've gotten side scrolling to work in any apps.
faustus69
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by faustus69 »

NAT network working with a x86 windows 8 version and windows 7 x64 guest.

All I do was change wetwork adapter in the VM settings to Intel Pro Desktop, and NAT is working correctly.

Cheers!
Spirit
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows XP, Seven, (Eight)

Post by Spirit »

Tried install Windows Developer Preview as VM in both Virtual PC and VirtualBox without success.
In Virtual PC I got the new blue screen every time it loaded and in VirtualBox it was the black screen with white text that appeared.

Hardware:

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718, it's a x86 32bit laptop so used the 32bit version of W8DP.
Intel Core Duo processor 2.0GHz, graphic ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Series.
RAM 2.0GB

First I thought, there might be something related in requirements for support for virtualization in the hardware.
Not so sure anylonger on that point. Soon after i decided see if it worked installing Windows 8 in a dualboot with the host Windows 7 Ultimate.

Can tell it worked perfectly and the new OS seems even run more stable than the old one.
Haven't seen one single blue screen so far, it's obvious some features not that yet developed from what I've seen but can't agree it feels that buggy like other people said. The Sound work, Network is fine, Mouse and keyboard work, could even install the drivers for additional buttons and features for touchpad, wireless & fan. Looking forward for new updates in nearest releases of VirtualBox in make it possible install it as VM also.
selden

Post by selden »

Spirit,

VM hardware assist must be turned on in the BIOS, either VT-x or AMD's equivalent.
Select Windows 7 (x64) as the guest O/S type in VirtualBox.
You also may need to connect the virtual disk to the IDE interface instead of SATA. SATA sometimes hangs about 80% of the way through the initial install.
Selden
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

selden wrote:Spirit,

VM hardware assist must be turned on in the BIOS, either VT-x or AMD's equivalent.
Select Windows 7 (x64) as the guest O/S type in VirtualBox.
You also may need to connect the virtual disk to the IDE interface instead of SATA. SATA sometimes hangs about 80% of the way through the initial install.
Thanks for reply mate, unfortunately that is something which can't be turned on in bios on this PC. It should be VT-x or similar for Intel CPU but this one doesn't have it. Tried installing it as both Seven and other OS, none of this made any difference. Was checking the posts here before i began, tried anything i could think of, nor SATA or IDE helped me to better luck when i tried. It looks likely there is a need for having support for virtualization in the hardware in this stage in make it work in VM on VirtualBox but hope it can be sorted out in future for support other hardware as well.

Like can be seen, there are no requirement for having VT-x when Windows developer preview running directly on the hardware in a Dualboot or clean install.
It's true :D
selden

Post by selden »

You don't need VM hardware assist if you're running Win8 on "bare metal", which is what you're doing, unless you want to try out its Hyper-V support.

At the moment VM hardware assist is required by VirtualBox to run Win8 in a VM.

The version of Hyper-V provided with Win8 requires hardware assist to run anything at all in one of its VMs. My understanding is that the version of Hyper-V provided with Win8 passes through access to the hardware assist so that VMs can be run within its VMs. (In other words, you could run a Win7 system including its XP mode in a Hyper-V VM.) VirtualBox v4.1.2 does not pass through access to the hardware assist, so you can't run the core Hyper-V code in Win8 running in a VirtualBox VM, although its management code runs OK. (I tried. )

I don't know the situation with VMware or the Mac's Fusion or Parallels.
Selden
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Hi, can confirm from one source that VMware Workstation 8 seems to cooperate successfully with Windows 8.
What kind of computer that was used i can't say but pretty sure there were support for hardware assist inside.

Sounds interesting using Hyper-V, thanks for mention it. Seems to be the only alternative which is left if install Win8 in a virtual machine for some of us.
From the first point i had my belief in Virtual PC as it's another product from Microsoft, thought it should be supported by this time as the working plans with Windows 8 has been going on ever since Windows 7 became RTM in middle of 2009 plus a few month's back. With the knowledge we have now it's understandable.

Must tell everyone also about a couple of handy tools for switching between the two interfaces in Windows 8.

Both of these just awesome, by now you're able to change between Metro tabblet and Standard interface whenever you like.
Best of all, you can now keep both without walk into the registry and you'll get the original Startmenu back :wink:

Gadget, download & install it in Windows 8 Sidepanel http://windows8startmenu.codeplex.com/

Next is an app, keep it handy in the Taskbar for instance for fast switch http://solo-dev.deviantart.com/art/Wind ... -258422929

Nevok
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP SP3, Ubuntu 9.10, Windows 98, Windows NT 4 SP6, Windows 8 Developer Preview

Post by Nevok »

VirtualBox 4.1.4 is released. But i can't install the guest applications under Windows 8 developer preview. The following message will be displayed:

What can i do to solve this problem?

Best regards
Nevok

PS: I'am a german user. If you can answer in german, i will be happy. But if you answer in english, thats ok too.
Attachments
virtualboxge414.jpg
virtualboxge414.jpg (49.31 KiB) Viewed 8044 times