Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.

Re: Windows 8?

Postby primus » 3. Jul 2012, 23:44

misha wrote:I bet this is Intel GPU - specific stuff..
Assuming you encounter VBox host process crash, could you create a core dump for your crash, and attach it here?
Also you've mentioned earlier you were getting guest BSOD when running with 3D disabled. Could you also try whether this issue is still valid for the latest test build you're using?


Looks like I have some problems with core dump, since nothing appears on cores folder when OSX crashes totally.. (naturally killing virtualbox manually will make coredump file). Looks like panic file OSX generates automatically is bit empty, or is it so?

Meanwhile I retested guest BSOD when trying to install GA 3D disabled and got the same result. Vbox log and W8 minidump attached, hope it helps.

--p
Attachments
primus_2daccelon_osx.zip
(46.83 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
--p
primus
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 21. Jun 2012, 13:12
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 8 x64

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Joey177 » 4. Jul 2012, 02:14

Thank you misha. I installed it, then updated the Guest Additions. It was working good for about 2 minutes before it caused a kernel panic on my Mac. I've attached that report. Let me know if you need anything else. I'm assuming I can just keep watching this thread to get the latest updates? Sorry, this is my first VM. 8)

Kernel Panic Report.txt
(7.83 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Joey177
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 3. Jul 2012, 00:39

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Joey177 » 4. Jul 2012, 02:51

I updated my system to 10.7.4 build 11E2620 and tested it again. I launched IE and went to type in a website when it froze and caused another kernel panic. Here is that report.
Panic Report.txt
(7.72 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Joey177
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 3. Jul 2012, 00:39

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 4. Jul 2012, 16:00

Perryg wrote:I have been able to restore from backup. I tried and tried to figure it out but it is just not happy with my build. I see there were a few more changesets later this day and am compiling against them now. but the whole driver error and something about the file being changed that is making Windows mad is beyond reprehensible and has almost always results in a re-install for me to make it happy. As scotty says the more MS tries to improve the darned thing the easier it is to muckup the plumbing. (well slight change in wording) ;-)

We've fixed the BSOD issue you observed while additions update.
Unfortunately the issue existed both in the first and in the second trunk test builds I posted,
so in case Windows Guest Additions from either of those builds are installed,
the following steps are needed to be done to prevent those additions from misbehave while updating/uninstalling:

1. In Windows Guest running the old trunk test Guest Additions, copy all three driver files located
under \fixed_drivers\x86 directory - for x86 Windows Guest
or under \fixed_drivers\amd64 directory - for amd64 Windows Guest
from the attached "fixed_drivers.zip" archive
to %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\ on your guest, overwriting already existing binaries - all three binaries need replacing because the issue was in a common lib utilized by all of those drivers
2. Reboot the guest - this will make the new (fixed) drivers to be loaded instead of the old buggy ones
3. Now you can safely uninstall the Guest Additions or install new (not buggy) ones on top of them.

I'm posting a link to the updated trunk Guest Additions test build so you could install it for further testing.

!!!NOTE that this is a trunk build, which may not be stable since trunk is under a heavy development now, so use it for testing purposes only!!!

http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... -78906.iso
Attachments
fixed_drivers.zip
Fixed trunk test build drivers to be used for solving additions uninstall/update issue found by Perryg.
(593.38 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 4. Jul 2012, 16:04

To all having Windows Guest Additions installed from one of the two above trunk test build VBox packages:

Please follow the instructions from my previous post to avoid issues while uninstalling/updating those test build Guest Additions!
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 4. Jul 2012, 16:05

Perryg wrote:I have been able to restore from backup. I tried and tried to figure it out but it is just not happy with my build. I see there were a few more changesets later this day and am compiling against them now. but the whole driver error and something about the file being changed that is making Windows mad is beyond reprehensible and has almost always results in a re-install for me to make it happy. As scotty says the more MS tries to improve the darned thing the easier it is to muckup the plumbing. (well slight change in wording) ;-)

Btw, I've also noticed that windows explorer may crush while guest additions (wddm driver in particular) update/uninstall.
Going to look into that as well.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Perryg » 4. Jul 2012, 16:25

You have nailed this one misha. Worked great. I did notice a flicker during the video driver install but this has always been the case IIRC. Is that what you were talking about when you said explorer crash?
Perryg
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34373
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 22:55
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 4. Jul 2012, 16:38

Perryg wrote:..I did notice a flicker during the video driver install but this has always been the case IIRC. Is that what you were talking about when you said explorer crash?

No, what I'm seeing here is that after wddm driver uninstall the explorer.exe process terminates, i.e. no taskbar, desktop icons, <win>+hotkey support until explorer.exe is manually started.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Perryg » 4. Jul 2012, 16:40

misha wrote:
Perryg wrote:..I did notice a flicker during the video driver install but this has always been the case IIRC. Is that what you were talking about when you said explorer crash?

No, what I'm seeing here is that after wddm driver uninstall the explorer.exe process terminates, i.e. no taskbar, desktop icons, <win>+hotkey support until explorer.exe is manually started.

Ah! Haven't seen that one *yet. Maybe difference in host? Mine is Linux.
Perryg
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34373
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 22:55
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 4. Jul 2012, 16:40

Perryg wrote:You have nailed this one misha. Worked great..

Is the flickering you saw while winsat run also gone for you btw? You could test it by manually running "winsat d3d" from an elevated console.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 4. Jul 2012, 16:43

Perryg wrote:Ah! Haven't seen that one *yet. Maybe difference in host? Mine is Linux.

I'm mostly on Windows host, but I'd guess the host type should not matter..
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Perryg » 4. Jul 2012, 16:48

misha wrote:
Perryg wrote:Ah! Haven't seen that one *yet. Maybe difference in host? Mine is Linux.

I'm mostly on Windows host, but I'd guess the host type should not matter..

Then I am truely blessed since I have not encountered this one. :mrgreen:
Perryg
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34373
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 22:55
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Perryg » 4. Jul 2012, 17:03

misha wrote:
Perryg wrote:You have nailed this one misha. Worked great..

Is the flickering you saw while winsat run also gone for you btw? You could test it by manually running "winsat d3d" from an elevated console.

Yes no flickering when running "winsat d3d" lots of errors and performance test is poor, but it works.

Test results attached:
winsat-d3d-test-win8.txt
(7.86 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34373
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 22:55
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 4. Jul 2012, 17:15

Perryg wrote:Yes no flickering when running "winsat d3d" lots of errors and performance test is poor, but it works.
Test results attached:
winsat-d3d-test-win8.txt

Most of those warnings are ok, I'll have a look into the reason of the "invalid format" warning, as well as will make sure non-critical warnings do not get printed,
besides that I'll have a look at winsat performance as well.
Thanks a lot for testing!
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Andre.Ziegler » 4. Jul 2012, 17:28

I still have the dllhost.exe crashes in the latest trunk build.

When I try to install the latest GA, Win8 crashes (Page fault in non paged area). Now the Win8 VM no longer starts.
Andre.Ziegler
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 17. Jul 2007, 13:45
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Vista Sp2, Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin)

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Guests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests