Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
misha

Re: Windows 8?

Post by misha »

skywalker67 wrote:Same here. After installation of GA 4.1.10 on clean Windows 8 CP 64-bit install I've got black screen after reboot. Host is Windows 7 64-bit.
Same here: please attach VM logs for the cases 4.1.10 additions & 4.1.8 additions are used.
JWheeler

Post by JWheeler »

Hi,

Same problem as everyone else, logs attached.
4.1.10 additions install, just after the display driver installs display goes blank, alt-tab shows items that can be switched between but nothing appears on screen, swtiching to the additions installer and pressing Enter restarts the PC (end of installation), on boot up you get a blank screen and no logon appear.

Joel.
Attachments
All-Logs.zip
All 4 Logs, 4.1.8 and 4.1.10
(93.51 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Win8-CP-2012-03-15-08-45-14.zip
4.1.8 and 4.1.10 Logs
(45.36 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Last edited by JWheeler on 15. Mar 2012, 11:57, edited 2 times in total.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

The VBoxSVC log is not the VM log (and it's useless in this context).
JWheeler

Post by JWheeler »

I just noticed that and attached the correct logs.
misha

Post by misha »

JWheeler wrote:Same problem as everyone else, logs attached.
The "success" 4.1.8 log says you do not have WDDM driver installed at all, which most likely means you do not have Guest Additions installed at all.
Does win8 work OK with 4.1.8 additions & VBox WDDM Video Driver installed? (you can ensure that VBox WDDM driver is installed by checking the graphics adapter in device manager is named as "VirtualBox ..WDDM" in win8 guest)
And if it does render OK with 4.1.8 additions & VBox WDDM Video Driver installed, please attach the log file for that case.
JWheeler

Post by JWheeler »

Guest additions for 4.1.8 was installed previously, however it is possible that it did not install the WDDM driver correctly and I didn't notice.
Testing again, that is indeed what happend, there's "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)", hopefully these logs might help?

UPDATE:
Times in the logs are all over the place, the system clock in the VM when back to around 3:50 AM at the time of the install.
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date: 15/03/2012 03:51:08
Event ID: 219
Task Category: (212)
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Win8-CP
Description:
The driver \Driver\VBoxVideo failed to load for the device PCI\VEN_80EE&DEV_BEEF&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&267a616a&1&10.
Attachments
setupapi.zip
(31.29 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Win8-CP-2012-03-15-10-53-05.zip
(17.05 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
misha

Post by misha »

JWheeler wrote:The driver \Driver\VBoxVideo failed to load for the device PCI\VEN_80EE&DEV_BEEF&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&267a616a&1&10.
Right, what you are seeing is caused by the 4.1.8 Guest Additions installer bug, which installed old-style VBoxVideo driver by default, which is incompatible with Win8.
4.1.10 fixed that, and now the correct driver gets installed, i.e. VBoxVdeoWddm, however it seems that you have some issues with rendering over 3D, which win8 is trying to do.

To detect whether this is a 4.1.10 3D regression or not, could you please run 4.1.8 Guest Additions installer, select "3D acceleration" component in installer, and answer "No" to the "do you want to install Basic Direct3D support instead?" question.
This will make 4.1.8 Guest Additions installer to install VBoxVdeoWddm driver, so that we can see whether or not 3D rendering works with 4.1.8 VBoxVdeoWddm driver.
JWheeler

Post by JWheeler »

Following your instructions, it seems that 4.1.8 has the same as 4.1.10 in producing a 'black' screen after additions installs the WDDM driver, (video memory already set to 128mb). I fumbled around to get the installer (Alt tabbing and pressing enter) to complete the additions install and then Win8 restarted, on boot-up the same issue a blank screen before the logon prompt. Another log attached.
Attachments
Win8-CP-2012-03-15-11-31-35.zip
(19.16 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
misha

Post by misha »

JWheeler wrote:Following your instructions, it seems that 4.1.8 has the same as 4.1.10 in producing a 'black' screen after additions installs the WDDM driver, (video memory already set to 128mb)
Thanks a lot for the info! We will investigate this black screen issue and will get back to you. As a work-around for now, keep with 4.1.8 additions that do now install the wddm driver by default..
jedie

Post by jedie »

I have the same "black screen issue"... But then i change the VM settings and enable 3D-/2D-Video acceleration and then it works.
vassilis

Post by vassilis »

Same situation here (win8 on VirtualBox 4.1.8 worked fine --> upgrade to 4.1.10 upgrade fine --> install additions - problem). The difference on my machine is that I don't get the black screen but instead a flickering one. You have to try really hard to click something you want but after that the whole process (virtualbox) is getting too heavy, its menu responds with delay.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Please don't even bother posting about 3D issues without mentioning the host OS, graphics hardware, and driver type (in case of Linux). Without that, the only possible reply will be "hmm, that's interesting".

Yes, it's sad, but if you want 3D you lose one of the biggest advantages of virtualization which is host hardware independence. The price of (backwards) progress I suppose :)
misha

Post by misha »

michaln wrote:Please don't even bother posting about 3D issues without mentioning the host OS, graphics hardware, and driver type (in case of Linux). Without that, the only possible reply will be "hmm, that's interesting".
Exactly. I'd even say that one should post a VM log in case of rendering problems with win8, as it is impossible to determine the issue without it.
sbk-a

Post by sbk-a »

michaln wrote:Please don't even bother posting about 3D issues without mentioning the host OS, graphics hardware, and driver type (in case of Linux). Without that, the only possible reply will be "hmm, that's interesting".

Yes, it's sad, but if you want 3D you lose one of the biggest advantages of virtualization which is host hardware independence. The price of (backwards) progress I suppose :)
Unfortunately, the current version of Virtualbox tools does not work at all if 3D acceleration is not enabled. I had left it off, but turned it on to get the new tools to work at all.

If it isn't a good idea, then the tools should work without it.

Now, if they could get the fix so it works with metro-style apps soon. Without that, I can't use the tools.
At this point, since we have been told this is a known problem, I won't submit logs unless requested. But if the fix doesn't work, I'll submit logs.
mikiem

Post by mikiem »

Something potentially of interest -- if not please disregard...

For testing & a variety of other reasons I've got win8 32 & win7 32 dualbooting in a VM hosted in VBox 4.1.10 running in win7 64 ult SP1. No problems so far with the additions in win8, but, once they're installed win7 won't load, if I use the std. setup with win8's boot loader etc. The problem won't show up until the VM's shut down & restarted -- updating both win8 & win7 worked fine until then, i.e. as long as I was restarting & not starting from shut down. After restoring backup copies of the .vdi files, fixed it by booting into the win7 VM, then using EasyBCD to install the Vista/win7 boot loader, replacing win8's, then applying all updates.

I'd guess the win8 additions get loaded to display the win8 boot menu, & stay at least partially loaded in VBox afterwards, preventing win7 from loading what it needs.