Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Kenno

Re: Windows 8?

Post by Kenno »

Perryg wrote:@Kenno,
You realise that using vRDP requires that you use the hosts IP and the guest port number, right?
Also the host needs the extension pack.
Yuppers, Used the Host IP Address....not the Virtual Machine...
Extension pack installed....

re: Guest Port # are you referring to Authentication method (I was using External) but had tried Guest and had enabled the Guest Account on Win 8 earlier without luck.... or the Server port # 3389

Have the Network set up as NAT but saw you had mentioned something about using bridged.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@kenno,
(I was using External)
Did you set it up? Set authentication to null/none and see if it works then.
If it does then you need to read Chapter 7 in your VirtualBox users guide to see how to use authentication.
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

OK, here is my current status about sharing files between Guest Win8 and Host Win7.

I installed Guest Additions, but still could not share files between Guest and Host.

I changed the network to Bridged and I can now access files on Host from Guest, but I cannot access files on Guest from Host. Guest asks for a password, which I have not set up on Guest.

Another way to share files between Guest and Host that I can now use is to use a USB stick. Both Guest and Host can access the USB stick which makes it fairly easy to share files.

Thanks for the help, Jim
hello11hi11

Post by hello11hi11 »

Vjetar wrote:
hello11hi11 wrote: So far I just download them from the site and then they immediately end up corrupted. What in the process am I doing wrong?
Which site?
Try downloading direct fom Microsoft.
I am downloading directly from Microsoft's site
ipig
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04

Post by ipig »

michaln wrote:I highly recommend not changing the default chipset. ICH9 can cause a Windows 8 guest to randomly become unresponsive for periods of time (it will always come back after a while). There's no disadvantage to using the default PIIX3 chipset that we're aware of.
Thanks for that
Robsa

Post by Robsa »

Hey guys I am running windows 8 no problem on my MacBook using latest VirtualBox, but guest additions doesn't add 1280x800 resolution even though it looks installed.

Any suggestions?!

thanks!
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Robsa wrote:Hey guys I am running windows 8 no problem on my MacBook using latest VirtualBox, but guest additions doesn't add 1280x800 resolution even though it looks installed.
Any suggestions?!
thanks!
Assuming that the guest additions were actually installed and that you selected to install the wddm drivers, The screen size is changed using the click drag on a window or the hot-key toggle (host+F). You can look in the Win8 device manage as see the VirtualBox wddm drivers are installed or not.
Robsa

Post by Robsa »

Perryg wrote:
Robsa wrote:Hey guys I am running windows 8 no problem on my MacBook using latest VirtualBox, but guest additions doesn't add 1280x800 resolution even though it looks installed.
Any suggestions?!
thanks!
Assuming that the guest additions were actually installed and that you selected to install the wddm drivers, The screen size is changed using the click drag on a window or the hot-key toggle (host+F). You can look in the Win8 device manage as see the VirtualBox wddm drivers are installed or not.
Hi Perry

Thanks for your answer - I am running in fullscreen mode and still cannot seem to sort the screen resolution out. I installed GA in windows 8 safe mode and ticked the 3d driver support but when I check the display adapter status in Device Manager
it tells me:
"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)"
Drivers being VBoxVideo.sys and VBoxDrivers.dll

When I installed GA it said it was unable to install the full drivers and asked if I wanted to install the basic 3D drivers instead (to which I said ýes')

Has anyone got the 1280x800 resolution working on a MacBook running OSX Lion?

Windows 8 seems fine apart form that, everything else works.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

@Robsa,
Sounds like you tried to install the 3D drivers instead of the wddm drivers. When you click the 3D option in the install process you answer the first question no. This will then tell you that you are going to install the wddm drivers.
djesteban

Post by djesteban »

Hi,

I installed VirtualBox 4.1.8 and followed the ZDnet article on how to install Windows 8 CP. Installation process goes fine, but after installation, on first restart, the screen freezes at the "fish" image. So I restarted the VM and then it continued with installation and setup of the OS (account creation, settings, etc.). Everything seemed ok up to this point, until I restarted Windows 8. Now it stays at the fish with a message saying "Attempting repairs". After a while, it goes to a blue screen with miscellaneous troubleshooting options. From there, I am able to restart and get to the boot option menu (safe mode, safe mode + networking, etc). If I try to start windows normally, then "I get the attempting repair message again, but if I select safe mode, it seems to be the only way for me to boot into Win 8....
From safe mode, I was able to install the GA's, then I tried restarting normally, but to no avail.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'd really like to be able to boot in Windows normally, and I mean, it should be possible since I was able to access it once right after configuring my account right after the OS installation.

Please help!

EDIT 1 For some odd reason, I was able to start Windows normally ONCE more after restarting from safe mode... but then after.... same game... restart, freeze at the fish image, restart again then attempting repair message...
selden
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Arch linux

Post by selden »

djesteban,

The ZD article says to select the ICH9 chipset emulation. Don't. Select the other emulation instead. You can change this emulation while your Win8 VM is shutdown. The ICH9 emulation results in intermittent hangs and perhaps other problems. This is mentioned on page 11 of this thread.

Also, at the bottom of page 11 of this thread are instructions for how to install the Guest Additions correctly.
Selden
CarWiz
Guest OSses: MS Windows 8

Post by CarWiz »

I'm running Win8 in VB with a Win7 host. I would think that's the BEST place to run the Consumer Preview. At least for the look and feel. It does have problems but It beats trashing my Win7 install and I hate setting up a dual boot for just browsing the functions. When finished, it's a simple VM delete.
aindriu80

Post by aindriu80 »

Hi,

I am trying to install Windows 8 Customer Preview on my machine which is running Windows 7 just fine. I am aware that if I just do a installation from an .ISO file on a DVD it will mean that returning to my Windows 7 at a later date almost impossible without having to format the hard disk. So I downloaded VirtualBox to create a virtual space which would still have my Windows 7 OS alongside the Windows 8 Customer Preview.

Can someone help me out, I am having problems with the installation on VirtualBox. After I enter in the product key it asks me do I want a custom install or an upgrade. I selected a custom install, it then prompts me with an error stating :

The computer started using the Windows installation disc. Remove the installation disc and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation disc and restart the upgrade. (Do not select "Custom (Advanced)" to perform an upgrade. "Custom (Advanced) installs a new copy of Windows and delets your programs and settings.)

Well I did that and the same error still comes up. Any ideas ?
aindriu80

Post by aindriu80 »

I got a solution, I followed the commands on Install Windows 7 on a Simple Dynamic Disk (Pro and Ultimate Only) and i have home premium but it still worked.

i cant post the address but here it is with spaces

w w w . opera . com / Devocalypse /blog /2011 /03 /02 /install - windows-7-on-a-dynamic-disk-pro-and-ultimate-only

basically I had to mess around with the partion, virtualbox is a headache
Redquill
Guest OSses: Windows8 DP & CP, Ubuntu 11.10

Post by Redquill »

Aindriu80 I think what you did with Vbox was to point it to the DVD and that caused the Microsoft Install program to run
instead of the Vbox install. I had the same problem the first time I tried to install Windows 8.

I still have a problem with GA after installing the 4.1.8 version. The video adapter driver fails to start with an error code of 37.
Anyone know how to fix this? I followed the instructions on the bottom of page 11 of this thread. The driver that fails is vboxvideo.sys
version 4.1.8.75467.