Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
hawkeye62

Re: Windows 8?

Post by hawkeye62 »

I installed Windows 8 CP in VirtualBox running on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit using the procedure given at techspot . com

I have had only one problem except for learning Windows 8.

The problem: I want to set up Windows 8 to share some files with the Host. Windows 8 does not see any other PCs. A laptop with Windows 7 can see Windows 8, but cannot connect to the shared folder.

Any advice on how to copy files between Windows 8 and the Host will be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Switch to Bridged instead of NAT in the guest settings.
lyallp
Guest OSses: Linux & Win xp,7,8

Post by lyallp »

I have win8 running in VB but find that I have to 'reset' on every boot to get it to work.
No guest additions, as that kills the VM.
Using IDE not SATA.
Using 2 or more cores.
freezesicle
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: DOS 6.22

Post by freezesicle »

Can someone give me a quick overview of this WDDM?

I am ignorant of it but my windows 8 device manager show a 'bang' ! next to the graphics drivers so i know there is some problem.

i did some search but still don't know about it.. can some kind person tell me where do get this driver? I just need a little information.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

You must have a proper VGA Card/Driver on the Host and must enable 3D in the VBOX guest settings.
Kenno

Re: Windows 8? VBox VRDP

Post by Kenno »

Working on the next step of Windows 8 Consumer Preview Review.

I have everything ?

a) installed, including the Guest Additions extension 4.1.8r75467
b) Enabled Remote Access under Settings/Display/Remote Display Server port 3389, external
c) Enabled Remote Access in Windows 8 Systems Properties (Allow Connections)
d) Enabled Firewall Port access for RDP 3389

Entered a valid Username and Password...but No Connection Occurs..
Made sure the RDP session as directed at the Host (Not Virtual Machine) as per Help file 7.1.1

Note: Have also used a sniffer to see the RDP connection requests..

Still no connection... Has anyone succeeded in getting this working yet.... ?

Looking forward to using my iPAd via an RDP session to use the Touch and have a Virtual Windows 8 Tablet....
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

@Kenno,
You realise that using vRDP requires that you use the hosts IP and the guest port number, right?
Also the host needs the extension pack.
selden
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Arch linux

Post by selden »

hawkeye62 wrote:I installed Windows 8 CP in VirtualBox running on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit using the procedure given at techspot . com

I have had only one problem except for learning Windows 8.

The problem: I want to set up Windows 8 to share some files with the Host. Windows 8 does not see any other PCs. A laptop with Windows 7 can see Windows 8, but cannot connect to the shared folder.

Any advice on how to copy files between Windows 8 and the Host will be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
If you install the Guest Additions, folders which are on the host can be shared with the Win8 VM. The shared folders can be read and written by both host and guest systems when using NAT networking.
Selden
selden
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Arch linux

Post by selden »

An FYI for those installing the GA with the WDDM features: some OpenGL applications die immediately. (e.g. Celestia and GPUCapsViewer). I managed to install GLView, though, and it revealed that the VB graphics driver is reporting that the display adapter has no RAM. This might be part of the problem. ;)
Attachments
Chromium emulator reports no memory
Chromium emulator reports no memory
glview4.jpg (80.09 KiB) Viewed 8556 times
Selden
hello11hi11

Post by hello11hi11 »

Setting up the consumer preview was going swimmingly, till I ran into this little gem. Have the 32-bit .iso but it's not letting me open it?

Also, I'm seeing people say I've got to have my Primary Master as HDD 20GB. I've got nothing under Primary Master. What does that mean exactly?
Attachments
8_error.JPG
8_error.JPG (77.27 KiB) Viewed 8534 times
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

hello11hi11 wrote:Setting up the consumer preview was going swimmingly, till I ran into this little gem. Have the 32-bit .iso but it's not letting me open it?
Check the ISO file. It's extremely highly likely that it's damaged.
hello11hi11

Post by hello11hi11 »

michaln wrote: Check the ISO file. It's extremely highly likely that it's damaged.
Downloaded the 64 bit version later, gave me the same response. Something I'm doing wrong that might be corrupting them?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

hello11hi11 wrote:
michaln wrote: Check the ISO file. It's extremely highly likely that it's damaged.
Downloaded the 64 bit version later, gave me the same response. Something I'm doing wrong that might be corrupting them?
Why not check the sha1 hash and see if it is correct? It is listed on the download page.
hello11hi11

Post by hello11hi11 »

Perryg wrote:
hello11hi11 wrote:
Why not check the sha1 hash and see if it is correct? It is listed on the download page.
Neither of them match up. I'm rather new with ISOs, I get the general idea but not much else. I'm sure I'm asking some stupid questions here. How can I get a non-corrupted ISO? So far I just download them from the site and then they immediately end up corrupted. What in the process am I doing wrong?
Vjetar
Guest OSses: Debian, MacOS X, Windows server 2008 R2, SuSe, Fedora, Windows 8

Post by Vjetar »

hello11hi11 wrote: So far I just download them from the site and then they immediately end up corrupted. What in the process am I doing wrong?
Which site?
Try downloading direct fom Microsoft.