Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
frosh

Re: Windows 8?

Post by frosh »

Aren't there any ideas about viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44577&sid=7388763b0 ... 25#p232486.
There is the same problem with W8 RP on 4.2 beta1 and W7SP1 x86 and WXPSP3 x86 hosts.
Joey177

Post by Joey177 »

misha wrote:So you don't have those Kernel Panic issues with Mountain Lion, do you?
I have encountered many Kernel Panics since then. But now that 4.2 beta 1 is out, I will update to that and also uninstall then reinstall the newest guest additions and see how that works out on Mountain Lion. Thanks.

PS. It isn't yet compatible with ML Gatekeeper. :P And I hope Retina display support will be coming soon. :D

I installed 4.2b1 and then went to start my VM ( 64-bit Win 8 ) and it just sat at the first screen indicating windows was loading. Black screen with the word "Windows" and underneath it has the loading circle animating. Never did boot up. I then Reset the VM, and it still won't boot. The option to power it down is grayed out. I was able to get it working by control-clicking the icon in the Dock and Quitting the VM. It then asked how I wanted to shut it down and I chose to power down and checked to restore to my snapshot. Starting the VM again caused it to boot successfully.

This is extremely frustrating! So many bugs it's incredible. Completely unusable. Uninstalled Guest Additions and it would not work. Black screen, half the screen showing in the window, etc. I tried to install the 4.2 guest additions, but even after that, it still has huge problems. I can't even install the newer guest additions because it is so unusable. Scaled mode doesn't work - black at top and flashing graphics at the bottom. Full screen and Seamless work sometimes. Drag and drop does not work. When in Seamless mode, right clicking the background does not affect the guest, it affects the host. At least copying and pasting works though, but you cannot copy a file on Mac and paste it into Windows, only text. Arrrgghh!

Ok I got the guest additions that you said was newer than the beta 1 additions, but after installing it, it still says it is 4.2.0_BETA1, version 4.2.0.0 in the Windows uninstall control panel. Is that expected? It appears to be working better now.
Joey177

Post by Joey177 »

Attempting to install Java in Windows 8 caused a Kernel Panic in Mountain Lion. Attached is the VBox.log file, and the kernel panic log. Regarding kextstat, I'm assuming all I need to do is run that in Terminal? That's what I did, after the Kernel Panic, and included that in the zip file. Do you need anything else?
Archive.zip
(44.05 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

frosh wrote:Aren't there any ideas about viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44577&sid=7388763b0 ... 25#p232486.
There is the same problem with W8 RP on 4.2 beta1 and W7SP1 x86 and WXPSP3 x86 hosts.
I am far from being an expert. The second log appears to be corrupt, it won't download.

Do I understand correctly, you can install Win8 64 bit as guest but not Win 8 32 bit?

Regards, Jim
frosh

Post by frosh »

hawkeye62 wrote:Do I understand correctly, you can install Win8 64 bit as guest but not Win 8 32 bit?
You're quite right.
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

frosh wrote:
hawkeye62 wrote:Do I understand correctly, you can install Win8 64 bit as guest but not Win 8 32 bit?
You're quite right.
Have you tried to download a new 32 bit file?

Good luck, Jim
piggo
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by piggo »

Hi, my experience with Virtualbox 4.2 beta 1 with 79783 guest additions (it is the same also with 4.2 beta 1 additions).

Host: Windows 7 64 bit

Guest: Windows 8 Pro RTM 9200 64 bit

Platform: Intel Sandy Bridge Mobile with integrated Intel graphics and Nvidia Graphics

Windows 8 run definitely solid and fast on this platform but guest additions crap video performance. The problem is especially with Internet Explorer 10 and partially with Chrome beta for Windows 8. Simply pages crash, block and restart themself. This is especially evident with flash pages and java pages then it can also happen with simple pages sometimes. Clipboard both copy and paste also do not work from guest to host and from host to guest.

So, becouse of the video problem, it is really a painfull experience with Guest Additions on; it become an acceptable experience without Guest Additions then it lack all the advanced guest features.

I upgraded from latest production release to 4.2 beta 1 wondering to resolve this Internet Eplorer/video problem then the beta work exactly the same compared to last production build, 4.1.
Last edited by piggo on 11. Aug 2012, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
frosh

Post by frosh »

hawkeye62 wrote:Have you tried to download a new 32 bit file?
What a new file?
I still have been hoping for a response of so-called experts.
Just out of curiosity.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

piggo wrote:Host: Windows 8 Pro RTM 9200 64 bit
Where did you get it? It's not yet available to developers...
frosh

Post by frosh »

michaln wrote:Where did you get it?
Why do you pay so much attention to something's gotten by somebody from somewhere instead of consideration of your product issues?
michaln
Oracle Corporation
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

frosh wrote:
Why do you pay so much attention to something's gotten by somebody from somewhere instead of consideration of your product issues?
Because a) Windows 8 RTM is not available to Oracle yet, so we can't do anything about it anyway, and b) because we are not very motivated to help software pirates. Shocking, I know!

If the "product issue" is that people have trouble with pirated software that we haven't had chance to look at because it's not yet legally available, well, that's just too bad. Are you suggesting that we should scrounge up some warez copy of Windows 8 RTM just so that software pirates would have easier time running it?

If something else is going on, we'd like to know...
frosh

Post by frosh »

michaln wrote:If something else is going on, we'd like to know...
Hell no! You would not.
What piracy are you talking about? I have a problem with Windows 8 Release Preview. I bet I will have the problem with RTM on Wednesday.
piggo

Post by piggo »

michaln wrote:
piggo wrote:Host: Windows 8 Pro RTM 9200 64 bit
Where did you get it? It's not yet available to developers...
Hi, it comes from the Internet and it is not pirate software becouse it is not activated so - as you know - it is not pirated software becouse it expire and/or it show watermarks and have limited functions (for example Personalization is very restricted and limited).

BTW, it is quietly similar to release preview and those problems with IE were there too, also if I think they are worst now on RTM.

Regards

PS: I'm a fan of both platforms (VBox and VMware), so no pun intended, then it works perfectly with latest (original licensed software - not BETA software, even if it works perfectly also on VMware 2012 Technology Preview, perfectly and legally available from WMware web site) VMware Workstation 8.0.4
Last edited by piggo on 11. Aug 2012, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
piggo

Post by piggo »

frosh wrote:
Curious, why he should put more attentions to your questions? Why your questions/experiences are more important compared to mine?
frosh

Post by frosh »

piggo, You haven't gotten the point totally. :)
BTW, your important question hasn't been left without answer. 'Stop pirating and using warez. Anything else, you're welcome.' Are you satisfied?

2 michaln. Guest system doesn't boot (see logs). What could you -- as Oracle Corporation representative -- tell about emerged situation? If you have no idea then do actually say that.
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log
(1.62 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
VBox.log
(85.06 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Last edited by frosh on 12. Aug 2012, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.