Windows 7 stuttering

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
NickTsilo
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Windows 7 stuttering

Post by NickTsilo »

Has anyone had an issue with their Windows Guest Machine stuttering. What I mean by that is, I can move my mouse around it doesn't freeze completely but I can't click anything, the circle next the pointer freezes for a few seconds, nothing I go over highlights, and it happens for about 10 seconds every like 10 minutes. It was completely fine for a while, I think it happened after the past 3 updates of my Virtual Box. Unless it is just a Windows problem. Not sure what to do, I googled the problem and I can't find anyone with it. It is really weird because my pointer can still be used. But anything else freezes for a few seconds. For example even if I am opening a window and it stutters, it gets stuck in the transitioning effect for 10 seconds about, and then moves on. It is very annoying.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Windows 7 stuttering

Post by Perryg »

Without the guests log file (as an attachment) it would be impossible to tell.
thesourcehim
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7 x64

Post by thesourcehim »

I have the same problem! I noticed that the frequency of the 'freezes' is higher when large number of graphics elements are changing on the screen. For example browsing well-designed web pages makes the problem unbearable - freezes can last for over 2 minutes. Changing 2D/3D acceleration settings doesn't affect the problem. Attaching log.
Attachments
MAX_VW764-2011-08-25-13-23-21.log
(99.03 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
thesourcehim

Post by thesourcehim »

I ran some more tests and found out that it's not system freeze but rather the window stops redrawing. Simple test: opened explorer, switched to some folder, did something-or-other until the problem arose, clicked to different folder in address string, minimized and restored virtual box window - explorer showed contents of the new folder. It seems VB "forgets" to redraw main window from time to time.
wb666greene
Primary OS: Ubuntu other

Post by wb666greene »

I'm having the exact same problem.

Virtualbox PUEL 4.1.2 on Ubuntu 10.04 with all updates applied as of this morning with Windows 7 Home Premium as guest OS, also with all updates applied.

Makes the system unusable. Is there a solution?

Otherwise It works nicely in between the 2+ minute lockups :(
wb666greene
Primary OS: Ubuntu other

Post by wb666greene »

Don't know it this will help anyone else but I was permuting the possibilities, getting bolder with each failure and changed the VM system chipset from ICH9 to PIIX3 and after win7 booted, installed drivers and rebooted the lockups appear to be completely gone. I even surfed with bot IE8 and Firefox at the same time without issues.

Might be issues with the ICH9 emulation and Windows 7 Home Premium.
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Yes there are issues with the ICH9 chipset causing lockups.
thesourcehim

Post by thesourcehim »

I confirm, after I changed chipset to PIIX3 freezes were gone.
happyrun
Primary OS: openSUSE
Guest OSses: win 7 pro

Post by happyrun »

me too.

win 7 guest on opensuse 11.4

if J mount ich9 chipset it hangs sometime
if J select PIIX3 all go like a charme
Polynomial-C
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Gentoo Linux

Post by Polynomial-C »

Is there a bug report about this? I've tried to search for this bug in the tracker but didn't find anything.
Gentoo Linux package maintainer
thesourcehim

Post by thesourcehim »

If moderator told us about this problem I think vbox developers already know about it.
tresi
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 7 64-Bit

Post by tresi »

I have the same problems here:

Host-OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Guest OS: same

My system hangs and (nearly) nothing can be clicked. But I can start the task manager with context-menu on taskbar and for the time the system hangs no applications nor processes are shown. At the time I can work again the task manager is filled correctly. I use only SATA-Controller in my VM configuration so the problem with ICH9 cannot be mine. It's really annoying, simply not usable.

I tried to reinstall Virtualbox and the guest additions in my machine (safe-mode and normal) multiple times but nothing works.

The situation occurs since version 4.1.2. I was lucky to see the update to 4.1.4 but it doesn't help. Before I never had any problems with virtualbox. My host system has been installed new shortly before 4.1.2 arrived. With 4.1.0 it works like a charm.

In my VM no failures were logged, all seems ok. I don't know what to do. Since weeks I am searching for a solution.

I hope there is a solution for me or a few tips from other users what I can try ;)

Kindly regards
tresi
thesourcehim

Post by thesourcehim »

SATA controller has nothing to do with this. Change ICH9 to PIIX3 in System tab, not in Storage (besides, Storage settings tab has ICH6, not 9)
tresi
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 7 64-Bit

Post by tresi »

thesourcehim wrote:SATA controller has nothing to do with this. Change ICH9 to PIIX3 in System tab, not in Storage (besides, Storage settings tab has ICH6
Thanks a lot for your explanation. English isn't my native language so I read over the real meaning. All seems to run well now :)