[Solved] Assitance with WDDM & Windows 7 Please

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
bamim2
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7 Pro 32-bit, WinXP, Ubuntu 10, Win2003, BSD, Win7Pro, Win2008, Win2003, Solaris 10

[Solved] Assitance with WDDM & Windows 7 Please

Post by bamim2 »

I've installed VB 4.1 & the Extension Pack on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit host. Then I installed the Additions to the Windows 7 Pro 32-bit guest. I then installed the Additions again using the technique in the Manual to get the WDDM drivers to install for Windows 7. I have 256MB of Video RAM, but I can't get Aero to work. When I click on the link to have Windows troubleshoot the problem (what a misnomer THAT is!!) it tells me the drivers are not capable of Aero.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to do to get Aero to work? Did I hose something up by installing the Additions & then installing them again? If I remove them, WILL they remove everything correctly? Can I just do that & install them again correctly?

I know. LOTS of dumb questions. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd like to hear them. Thanks!!!
Last edited by bamim2 on 3. Jan 2012, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Assitance with WDDM & Windows 7 Please

Post by Perryg »

If you are installing the guest additions and select 3D you will be presented with a message to say yes or no. You need to say no or the installer will try to install the 3D drivers and not the wddm driver (which DO NOT need to be installed in safe mode)
I find that on 64-bit guests it works a lot better if you select to use only one processor in the guest settings.
You also need to make sure you have the latest drivers for your HOSTS video card.

If you had previously installed the guest additions in safe mode you will need to go into safe mode and uinstall the guest additions, before you install the new guest additions for wddm.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Which VGA Card has the host, which vga driver is installed on the host?
bamim2
Guest OSses: Win7 Pro 32-bit, WinXP, Ubuntu 10, Win2003, BSD, Win7Pro, Win2008, Win2003, Solaris 10

Post by bamim2 »

I have the latest video drivers on my host. I just confirmed. I went into Safe Mode & removed the Additions & booted the system back up & installed the Additions again when the system was fully up. I still have the same problem.

However, now when I go into the settings for my guest (while it's off) it tells me "Invalid Settings Detected", but it doesn't tell me where or what the problem is. How do I figure out where the Invalid Setting is?

Just to be clear, my host is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit & the guest is Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. The guest is set to use 4 Processors, but I can't change it due to the "Invalid Settings Detected" message.

I don't understand the question:
Which VGA Card has the host, which vga driver is installed on the host?
Do you mean, what VGA card does my host have? - I have an Intel i3 so I'm using the built in Video & the host is using the Aero settings fine.
bamim2

Post by bamim2 »

When I install the Additions, I check the 3D box, then it asks me, "Do you...." & I choose "NO", the 3D box stays checked. Should it "uncheck" itself or is that the way it's supposed to look? When I installed the Additions in Single user mode, I mean Safe Mode, it changed the check box to say "WDDM", but when it's not in Safe Mode it doesn't change the box. Have I hosed something up? or is it ok this way?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

bamim2 wrote:When I install the Additions, I check the 3D box, then it asks me, "Do you...." & I choose "NO", the 3D box stays checked. Should it "uncheck" itself or is that the way it's supposed to look? When I installed the Additions in Single user mode, I mean Safe Mode, it changed the check box to say "WDDM", but when it's not in Safe Mode it doesn't change the box. Have I hosed something up? or is it ok this way?
You just need to follow the bouncing ball. when asked say no then next. the 3D will stay checked but install the wddm drivers instead.
If you installed in safe mode at any time you will need to un-install in safe mode, reboot, and then install in normal mode.
Have you ever installed 3D in safe mode on this guest (not wddm but 3D)?
bamim2

Post by bamim2 »

Nope. I've never installed the 3D in safe mode. Only the WDDM drivers. I've removed the WDDM drivers in safe mode & reinstalled the Additions/WDDM drivers in 'regular' mode. When I look at the Display adapters in Device Manager & I see the Virtual Box WDDM driver listed there. However I still can't get Aero to work. If I click on the link that says, "Troubleshoot problems with Transparency and other Aero effects", but it just tells me "Windows System Assessment Tool Has Stopped Working". It finally comes to a point that it tells me, "The video card driver doesn't support Aero effects". Is there something I can check in the registry or something?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

The trouble shooting and the assessment test in Windows does not work properly with the VirtualBox wddm drivers.
That being said all you should need to do after the wddm drivers are installed (in normal mode) is to make sure that the 3D (in the display section of the guest settings) is checked and then to select the aero theme in the windows 7 guest.
bamim2

Post by bamim2 »

That's what I thought. That's exactly what I did. In my opinion is just too flaky for its own good. Thanks for trying to help though.
bamim2

Post by bamim2 »

I almost forgot that I asked this but sorta got side tracked with other things. In the settings of the Windows 7 Pro 32-bit guest, it now says, "Invalid Settings Detected". However, I don't see any way to tell what the invalid settings that it has detected are. How can I determine which setting is invalid?