Problem installing Win98 in VB 1.5.4 on Windows XP

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
zotteken

Problem installing Win98 in VB 1.5.4 on Windows XP

Post by zotteken »

So, I started with installing VirtualBox, then I have a Win98.iso and Win98.img (Floppy Image) and a virtual disk
Using the floppy, I created a DOS partition on the virtual disk, and then also formatted it. Now when I reboot hte computer, I need to choose start computer with CD-rom support (to be able to access the CD). But then the system seems to hang...
Seems like it not able to load the CD -rom? how could that be??
Last edited by zotteken on 31. Jan 2008, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

There are several Threads with Solutions (<4 MB VGA etc.). Please use Search Function.
zotteken

Post by zotteken »

stefan.becker wrote:There are several Threads with Solutions (<4 MB VGA etc.). Please use Search Function.
And what terms do I have to use?? Common, I've been browsing/searching this forum for mre than an hour, before I decided to join and post my question...
Anyway, I concluded that this might be caused by no good driver support on the bootdisk image I'm working with... So, could someone point me to a bootdisk image that does work... I pretty much tried every disk I could find through searching google
Eck

Post by Eck »

My original attempt to install 98SE got derailed by that freeze when loading the cdrom driver with the 98SE Startup floppy. My solution was to use (of course, you'd have to have one) a 98 Gold OEM cd, which is bootable and loads its own cd driver and performs the functions of the floppy instead. I then used the old $20 Windows 98SE Update Cd to upgrade to 98SE.

I did need to lower the initial Video RAM in the virtual machine to 6MB for the installation to go through all the way, then increased it to the default 8MB and installed SciTech Display Doctor 7 beta (Major Geeks) and used the gen around in dark places to create the key. I extracted the Realtek AC97 Audio Windows 95 vxd driver and pointed Device Manager to it for the audio driver.

Now, I have no idea whether lowering the Video ram to less than 4MB, as suggested as an example in the reply to your post, would effect the floppy's loading of the cdrom driver or not. Perhaps what is needed is a driver other than that OakCdRom.sys that the floppy uses. There are other cdrom drivers on the net that you could try. Not certain of the procedure necessary, but I suppose it would be something like adding it to the floppy and editing the autoexec.bat and config.sys of the floppy to use that driver instead of the default one. The MSCDEX autoexec line must specify the same drive name that the driver is loaded on in config.sys.

A floppy from bootdisk.com probably wouldn't make a difference since I think they are just Windows 98 Startup floppies, just like the one made from add/remove programs and the one that comes with the retail 98SE. Perhaps oakcdrom.sys does not get along with whatever is done to connect the host's floppy drive in Virtualbox. I have no idea if other drivers would either.

I was lucky to have an OEM Windows cd to use.

Not sure how happy you'll be with performance. I gave mine 256MB and still get horribly slow internet performance. Virtualbox is optimized for NT Windows operating systems like XP/Vista. Explorer and normal program performance is bearable, but internet browsing is impossibly slow.