Win2K Guest - howto install a video driver?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
quackking

Win2K Guest - howto install a video driver?

Post by quackking »

Hi. Great software! Thanks! I have installed 1.4.0 from the Innotek repository (the pre-built, not self-compiled option, that is.)

I have installed a Win2K guest on my 7.04 Feisty AMD Althlon 66 X2 4600+ box, no problems. The network works, I have not enabled sound or USB, I have been able to do all the Windows updates.

One problem - I am running in 16 color VGA mode only. The graphics adapter in the computer is an nVidia GeForce 6200 Series (256) - a cheap card made by Inland. When I try to run the CD-based installer that came with the card (from an ISO image) it only allows me to install DirectX, and when I go into the Win2K device manager and look at the screen (the adapter properties) it tells me I am using VGASave, non-plugandplay, and the Driver Details button on the driver tab is grayed out. There is no place where I can actually change the driver.

What am I doing wrong? I would be happy with a 256 color 800x600 display!

Thanks in advance!
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Install Guest Additions, not the driver from the card.

You should read more about emulation.
quackking

Post by quackking »

Sorry, I am an idiot. :idea: The phrase RTFM was invented for me personally!! heh.

OK, I have read the manual now and installed the additions, and it works perfectly. You guys walk with the gods.

I do still have one question - I initially tried (and failed) to install an NT4 workstation guest, from a very old (pre SP1) CD. The NT guest hangs irregularly and cannot see the network (the NT drivers do not seem to include the AMD virtualized NIC) (BTW, I have had to set the virtual IRQ piix3ide delay to at least 4 to make my Win2K install work regularly, too)

On further research it seems to freeze at the stage where NT networking is installed, at the step 'Installing RPC'.

Should I be able to install NT? or is there some showstopper?

Again, thanks a lot! I can already see that this software will really save me some significant time and trouble!