Windows 7 USB Device Issues

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jsmith77
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Windows XP

Windows 7 USB Device Issues

Post by jsmith77 »

It seems since I upgraded from Virtual Box 4.0.6 to 4.0.8 that I've been having issues with any USB Device that Windows classifies as a 'USB Composite Device'. Any USB device that falls into this category will not install the drivers. This includes my iPhone, Blackberry, and an HP printer. I know Virtual Box is running properly for passing through the USB when the devices are selected, as I've had a WWAN Mobile Internet stick work, as well as the webcam built into the laptop loads fine.

When one of these devices is attached to the Guest OS, which is Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1, the found new hardware wizard launches, but it fails to install the driver. Looking at Device Manager, for the iPhone, I get the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver with a ! beside it. The status of the driver says that it 'Failed to start (Code 10)'. I've tried this with another iPhone and an iPod Touch and received the same error. I've done the troubleshooting steps on Apple's website which include stopping and starting the Apple Mobile Device Service, uninstalling it from the device manager and reinstalling the driver manually, and uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling it. All of the above have yielded the same result. I can't be sure that 4.0.8 is the culprit, but all of these devices were working on the Guest before I did the upgrade, and now they don't.

My Host OS (OpenSuse Linux 11.4, Kernel 2.6.37) recognises the devices and allows me to work with them with no issues. I've also tried uninstalling Virtual Box and reinstalling it, to no success. I am added to the virtualbox users group, I have the Extension pack installed (And have tried re-installing it) And have tried with the USB 2.0 setting turned on and off.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as I'm really getting frustrated by the inability to properly sync my iPhone on this computer.

If anyone wants any logfiles or screenshots I will be more than happy to provide them, as long as you let me know what you're looking for.

Thanks.
jsmith77
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Windows XP

Re: Windows 7 USB Device Issues

Post by jsmith77 »

Well, still have no idea what caused the issue in the first place, but it definitely was a problem with the Virtual Machine. I created a new machine with the same settings as the original and attached the Hard Drive image to it. Plugged in the iPhone through the USB connection and worked like a charm. I don't know if it's possible that the VM got corrupted during the upgrade to 4.0.8, or something else unrelated happened to go at the same time.

Just goes to show, it helps to troubleshoot everything as much as you can, even if it doesn't seem like it's a problem. Hopefully this helps someone else having any kind of similar problem.
blooglet
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by blooglet »

Had the same problem... works like a charm!
ulrichP
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: WinXP Win7 Win8

iPod works after recreation of VM

Post by ulrichP »

I had a similar problem with an iPod Shuffle for which the solution suggested above worked, too.

With VB 4.1.10 on a Win7-64bit Host, i created a Win7-64bit VM (guest additions 4.1.10 installed).
Installed iTunes and other Apple stuff. However, a connected and captured iPod was not seen by iTunes.

After reading the preceding posts, i created another Win7-64bit VM which used the same harddisk (VDI image) as the first one. When i booted this VM (the turned on iPod was connected to the host system) and started iTunes - oh wonder - the iPod could be used.
:D Have a nice time
Ulrich
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: WinXP Win7 Win8

iPod Problem with Win7 guest

Post by ulrichP »

I've got the impression that my iPod (see preceding post) is only properly recognized by the host system (Win7) when it is plugged in while booting - then it also works nicely within the VM. However, if i disconnect the iPod and then connect it again, after rebooting my VM it cannot use the iPod (actually, it does not even appear in the list of connected USB devices).

So it seems to that this might rather be a Win7 problem with the iPod but a VM's problem - does anyone have any similar experiences or even an explanation or solution for this issue?
:D Have a nice time
Ulrich

Post by Mr. Democracy »

I managed to solve the problem!

First install the "VM VirtualBox Extension Pack" that can be found on the VirtualBox download page.

Enable "USB 3.0 (xHCI) Controller" and add your iPhone to the "USB Devise Filters" list.

Run the virtual machine.

Install drivers for the new "USB 3.0 (xHCI) Controller" setting you enabled, with a program like "Driver Identifier" or "Driver Easy".
I personally recommend "Driver Identifier" as it was what I used. :)

Done! :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Five years ago VirtualBox did not support USB3, so I think we can safely put this thread to "sleep", as it applies no more.

Thank you for your contribution!

One thing that you can "avoid" is the two programs you suggested and download the USB3 drivers for Win7 directly from Intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... set-Family
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.