Softice on VirtualBox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
steup
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP SP3

Softice on VirtualBox

Post by steup »

Hi,

This seems to often occurs but I never seen a working solution.
How can we run Softice in VirtualBox? I have DriverStudio 3.2 version on Windows XP SP3.
Softice seems to fully works but don't display in normal usage.

The only way to display the current Softice screen is to force virtualbox to redraw the screen, e.g. by switching display to fullscreen (host-F). But as this is only ponctual, this is not a viable solution. Each softice modification needs to Host-F :-P

Is it possible to add an option to, say, redraw virtualbox screen every N ms? Or a cleaner way would be to find the difference between a physical machine and VirtualBox. I know VMWare needs the "SVGA.forceTraces" option to display Softice, I think this force VMWare to redraw on, perhaps DOS interruptions? (Softice works UNDER the OS, so perhaps it relies on good old interuptions to display...It also uses SVGA driver.)

I have a VirtualBox machine with softice installed, ready to test whatever you want to fix this recurrent-but-never-fixed problem.

Thanks.

P.S. : I tried removing the VBox guest addons, this does not change anything. VBox 4.0.6.
P.S.2 : As an update : I tried the Direct3D mode, that doesn't change a lot, except now i can update the softice screen by clicking outside VBox screen and clicking inside VBox screen. If this can help.
Dehax
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: Softice on VirtualBox

Post by Dehax »

I have exactly the same situation!!! Can anyone help us? Please, very necessary.