can't get virtualbox service to start in windows 7 guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
tkarns01
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows 7

can't get virtualbox service to start in windows 7 guest

Post by tkarns01 »

Hello,
I have installed on ubuntu natty 11.04 virtualbox 4.0.6. I created a windows 7 virtual machine. I installed VB extensions and usb access works. I have installed guest additions several times with the same results. It installs (whether installed in or out of safe mode) fine, but after the reboot, the VirtualBox Service won't start. The only error I can find is that is timed out in 3000 milliseconds. If I try to start the service manually, it almost immediately fails to start. If I use session information from the menu, it doesn't see Guest Additions (probably due to the service not running). All windows 7 event viewer shows is the timeout message.

Any ideas? The log file under the vm directory doesn't' really show anything related to why the service is not starting.

Thanks!
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Re: can't get virtualbox service to start in windows 7 guest

Post by stefan.becker »

Hardware (RAM, CPU, VGA, Harddisk size/free))?

Exact Guest Configuration (RAM, VGA, Harddisk size/free)?
tkarns01
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows 7

Post by tkarns01 »

Thanks ahead of time.

Here goes.

host:

Hp probook 6455b, 4gb, AMD Phenom II N620

vga: ATI M880G (Mobility Radeon HD 4200)

Ubuntu Natty 11.04 64

root: 28gb total, 13gb available 14gb free

home: 268gb total, 101gb used, 154gb free

guest:

Windows 7 Enterprise 64, service pack 1

allocated 2gb to vm, 128mb to video. turned on 2d/3d acceleration, but didn't install the 3d drivers when installing guest additions. Also got the same result originally with 2d/3d off.'

24gb disk allocated (fixed), 9gb free

vm settings:

vt-x/amd-v acceleration

chipset ICH9

acpi/ioapci enabled

pxedebug enabled false

Also, the VirtualBox Device and Virtualbox Graphics Adapter are showing a Code 12, the device cannot find enough resources.

Thanks,
crschimidt
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by crschimidt »

Hi,

I hope this help a little. I search at internet how to eliminate "Code 12, the device cannot find enough resources" for VirtualBox Device, Virtualbox Graphics Adapter and network adapter Intel Pro 1000.

I discover myself that you have to replace driver for "PCI Bus". In my case it was "AMD pci express 3gio filter" and if you open Device Manager and right click over this one, just choose "update driver software", "Browse my computer for driver software", "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and choose "PCI Bus".

After that all drivers won't show code 12.

Schimidt
ranger203
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win

Post by ranger203 »

Awesome Schimidt, changing to the PCI bus worked for me too, all fixed. I converted a Windows Vista v2i Image created from an AMD computer into a .vhd and attached it to a Vista VM. Install the additions and everything would start like u said. Now it does. Thanks again!