Activation and Windows Update Fail [SOLVED]

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ridius

Activation and Windows Update Fail [SOLVED]

Post by ridius »

Hello all,

Well, let's start off with my setup: Host=Ubuntu Gutsy, Guest=Vista Ultimate, Bridged network setup using tap0 (br0 is the bridge and is getting dynamic ip from my router).

So here's the weird part... I can get normal internet traffic just fine. Web browsing, file downloading, etc all work beautifully. But, when I try to Activate Windows or use Windows Update, it always fails with an error message about firewall configuration: 80072EE2.

I'm using a clean Gutsy install and have no firewall configured at all (I believe the default is to allow all traffic). I know my router isn't the problem as I had Vista installed as the primary OS on the same box and updates worked fine. I've tried turning off the Windows firewall and the same error happens. I even installed Firestarter and disabled the firewall, still same error.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Ridius
Last edited by ridius on 14. Jan 2008, 13:10, edited 2 times in total.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Please check with
{{{
iptable -L -n -v
}}}
if your Gutsy distribution really allows all connections.
ridius

Post by ridius »

Here's the output:

Code: Select all

$ sudo iptables -L -n -v
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 98 packets, 108K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 5 packets, 595 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 93 packets, 12729 bytes)
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Right. You might google a little bit, perhaps the following works:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/836941
ridius

Post by ridius »

Frank Mehnert wrote:Right. You might google a little bit, perhaps the following works:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/836941
Thanks for the tip, but I already got it working (you just beat me to the forums). It turns out it was my router after all. I connected my host directly to my DSL modem (bypassing the router) and Windows Update worked. I have no idea why my router allowed Windows Update when Vista was native and denied Windows Update to the Virtual Machine, but I plan to investigate more.
Last edited by ridius on 14. Jan 2008, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
ridius

Post by ridius »

For those that are curious, I have a Linksys WRTP54G that's left over from when I had Vonage. I no longer use Vonage but never bothered to buy a new router as this one works fine (at least, up until now! :D )
ridius

Post by ridius »

Well, after a little more testing, I found the culprit. PPPOE Passthrough. If I enable this setting on my router, I can no longer get Windows Updates. If I leave it to the factory default (disabled) then Windows Update works fine.