cannot get resolution above 800x600 on widescreen

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
nielsonp
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows xp

cannot get resolution above 800x600 on widescreen

Post by nielsonp »

I have Windows XP insalled as a guest on on windows 7 laptop acer its a 15.6" widescreen.

everything is working fine except for the screen resolution. when i maximize the window the screen on xp stays the same and i cannot adjust the resolution up. i have installed the guest applications and also the 3d acceleration and still isnt going to work.

how do i get the machine at a 1366 x 768 screen resolution?

thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: cannot get resolution above 800x600 on widescreen

Post by Perryg »

Did you install the guest additions (in the guest)?
If so you should have a VBox icon in the lower right corner showing that it is installed and running. If you do then try the host+G toggle to turn the auto-resize on and off and see if it works.
nielsonp
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: windows xp

Post by nielsonp »

yes i was trying this before and it wasnt working

i just tried go to full screen mode and it is working perfectly!

i must say this software has been so much easier to configure for networking etc than vmware :)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

i just tried go to full screen mode and it is working perfectly!
So it works now, and you issue has been resolved?
maity
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: XP

Post by maity »

EDIT: (I was reading an older thread before and thought this was also from 2008 but no...)
I am having the same problem - cannot get more than 800x600. Latest Guest addons installed. Tried uninstall and reinstall addons. Still cannot go up from 800x600.
What is going on????

HOST: Vista. Guest: XP pro. Version 4.0.6
Last edited by maity on 30. Apr 2011, 00:30, edited 2 times in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Maybe you just don't have it set properly. If you have installed the guest additions (in the guest) You might want to check and see if auto-resize is enabled. The host+g toggle will do this. Then you use the mouse click and drag to set the size or you use the host+f toggle to go in and out of full screen.
maity

Post by maity »

AutoFit Guest does have nothing to do with it. The GUEST OS does not detect that the virtual video card supports a higher res.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

The guest does not even see your video card. It sees the vbox video card.
Does you guest have a vbox icon by the clock?
maity

Post by maity »

Found a solution: REINSTALL Guest OS :)

YES - IT IS STUPID. But it works. And I dont have time to tinker around.
maity

Post by maity »

maity wrote:Found a solution: REINSTALL Guest OS :)

YES - IT IS STUPID. But it works. And I dont have time to tinker around.
HAHAA :D After installing the virtualbox addons I am stuck with 800x600 AGAIN !!!!
Come ON, VirtualBox developers ! :)
Right after doing a FRESH (GUEST) XP SP2 reinstall, without any Win updates applied, installing Vbox Addons messes up the (guest) system!!

Host: Vista: Guest XP ,VBOX version 4.0.6.0
Last edited by maity on 29. Apr 2011, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
maity

Post by maity »

Perryg wrote:The guest does not even see your video card. It sees the vbox video card.
Does you guest have a vbox icon by the clock?
I understand how the virtualization works. Yes I have the icon. The VBOX video card (driver) DOES NOT WORK.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

maity wrote:AutoFit Guest does have nothing to do with it. The GUEST OS does not detect that the virtual video card supports a higher res.
Where in blazes does he note Autofit? Perry is talking about auto RESIZE, which is the exact opposite. Your option is Host+A, which fits the window to the resolution of the Guest. Host+G makes the Guest fit it's resolution to the window. If the window grows, by maximizing it or going to full screen, the resolution will match that size.
If you need to reinstall the Guest OS, you're clearly doing it wrong. It seems from your replies you actually have no idea whatsoever how virtualisation works and what is needed to make it work properly.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
maity

Post by maity »

Sasquatch wrote:
maity wrote:AutoFit Guest does have nothing to do with it. The GUEST OS does not detect that the virtual video card supports a higher res.
Where in blazes does he note Autofit? Perry is talking about auto RESIZE, which is the exact opposite. Your option is Host+A, which fits the window to the resolution of the Guest. Host+G makes the Guest fit it's resolution to the window. If the window grows, by
maximizing it or going to full screen, the resolution will match that size.
Refit-resize, what's the difference-.. the PROBLEM is that after installing the VirtualBox drivers the GUEST OS can only have 800x600 as max resolution! :P
If you need to reinstall the Guest OS, you're clearly doing it wrong. It seems from your replies you actually have no idea whatsoever how virtualisation works and what is needed to make it work properly.
Well... True I dont know how to make it work PROPERLY. I am not the designer of this software. BUT I do know that after I did a XP install on a NEW VirtualBoX host WITHOUT Virtualbox addons, I can choose a resolution up to 1600x1200. If I install Vbox addons I am back to 800x600. How do you explain that ??? 8)
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

How I explain it? Well, you have XP as Host and installed the GA on the Host instead of the VM Guest? All the XP installs I did in VB always limited to 800x600 before I installed the GA, after that I could resize the window and the resolution would match it's size. I still have three XP VMs that I installed two years ago and have seen VB versions from way back, including the Guest Additions from those versions up till now. None has ever done what you're describing. Even Linux VMs and W7 VMs show the same result: low resolution until the GA are installed.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
maity

Post by maity »

Sasquatch wrote:How I explain it? Well, you have XP as Host and installed the GA on the Host instead of the VM Guest? All the XP installs I did in VB always limited to 800x600 before I installed the GA, after that I could resize the window and the resolution would match it's size. I still have three XP VMs that I installed two years ago and have seen VB versions from way back, including the Guest Additions from those versions up till now. None has ever done what you're describing. Even Linux VMs and W7 VMs show the same result: low resolution until the GA are installed.
I have VirtualBox running on my _other_ work PC also and on that everything is fine. VMware too by the way. Usually yes, you get the VGA resolution first and after installing the virtual addons you get the higher res. Right now it's the opposite. I don't understand why it is so. My only guess is that it is related to the custom Windows installation CD I used to install the guest, altough Virtualbox video driver should work the same way.... Will try a factory CD and see what then...