Problem with Internet Connection on XP Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Archer

Problem with Internet Connection on XP Guest

Post by Archer »

Hi there,

I'm new to VirtualBox and got some serious problems getting my internet connection on the guest to work. For guest and host I'm using Windows XP Home. My host system is connected to the internet via a DSL modem connected directly to my network card. No routers or hubs. No Wireless.

I also tried network bridging as described in the manual, but ran into problems there.
First I created a host interface as described in chapter 6.4 in the manual. To my delight a new network adapter was created in the host XP but I simply can't bridge it with my normal network connection. Everytime I try I get a popup window telling me (in German) that I'd have to use two network connections that are not used for internet connections. So since I have practically no experience in networking, I'm at a total loss here.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?
Thanks very much
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

NAT (the default mode of VirtalBox network adapters) should work out of the box. Please note that NAT does not support ICMP, that is, ping to some host on the internet will not work. But http should work. Make sure that you connected your host to the internet before starting a new VM if you are using VirtualBox < 1.5.4. With NAT, your guest should receive the network address 10.0.2.15 and it should receive the first name server your host is connected to.

Bridging the host interface just means that you select both, the new TAP adapter and the adapter which is currently connected to the internet, at the same time. Then right click and select 'bridge'.