Unable to start virtual machine

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
djarvie

Unable to start virtual machine

Post by djarvie »

I have a Windows 98 guest running under a Linux host, using VirtualBox 1.5.2_OSE. I installed Windows and the guest additions successfully. I then tried to increase the video memory from 8 to 16 Mb in an attempt to increase the video resolution. When I next restarted the virtual machine, it failed with the error message shown below. I tried to use a saved snapshot instead, but starting it produced the same error message. Because of the confusing terminology of the options for handling a snapshot, I then succeeded in wiping out the saved snapshot - and trying to start again still produced the same error.

Note that this is a fresh installation of VirtualBox - I'm not upgrading from 1.4.

How can I restore things - or do I have to start all over again?

Failed to restore VM state from '/home/david/.VirtualBox/Machines/Solar Fire/Snapshots/{033162df-975e-4844-4fb1-8f609ec320d5}.sav' (VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH).
VBox status code: -1825 (VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH).

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

That error is most likely a result of different version of VBox during creating a snapshot and restoring from it. You should discard all snapshots after upgrading VBox. BTW, note that our guest don't support Windows 98.
djarvie

Post by djarvie »

This is a fresh installation of VirtualBox, and I created the VM using the freshly installed version. So I haven't upgraded anything.
djarvie

Post by djarvie »

Sorry, I didn't notice your statement about not supporting Windows 98 guests. That could well be the problem in that case. But why is Windows 98 offered as an option for the guest operating system if it's not supported?