ipod touch / iphone (virtualbox v1.5.4 winXP client)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
luvVB

Post by luvVB »

Any news with iTunes and the 0xE8000001 Error?

I am willing to "borrow" my iPhone out to enable someone to troubleshoot this problem!

-Thanks!
luvVB

Post by luvVB »

Just wanted to bump this, I'm willing to financially donate to this project for USB support in tunes!

Here is a workaround for those using linux.
http://lifehacker.com/388785/sync-your- ... y-in-linux
dchill42

Got iPod Video

Post by dchill42 »

That's totally awesome (if you have an iPhone)! I have an iPod Video, so I'm still waiting for the USB/iTunes fix. I'm not sure how much I could contribute financially, but I might be willing to contribute development/debugging time. Maybe I should crack open the Subversion and see if I can find the problem.
vevmesteren

touch-synching

Post by vevmesteren »

synching over wireless is not really what I am looking for though. In addition tothe fact that the ssh protocol is not exactly snappy on the iPod. I used my FTP client, and yes, it does work. But what I really REALLY want to is to fir up my iTunes in the virtualboxed XP and have it synch itself...is it a dream? Or one that will come true?

just a question...

V
jlinvald

Iphone v.1.1.4

Post by jlinvald »

Same here with virtualbox 2.0 although the error that occurred is now 0xE8000035.
Running virtualized XP SP 2 on AMD 64,Itunes 7.7.1.11 from Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

Hope this get fixed!
jackkerouac

Post by jackkerouac »

Okay, found a fix that works for me. Try this:
OK, was a piece of work but I got it now.

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=1A5FEE2413 ( I hope its legal to post it here ) is a usbcore.ko module for Ubuntu linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic.

Go to /lib/modules/2.6.24-21-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/core, backup your current module, get mine, put it there, run "depmod -ae", run "update-initramfs -u" and reboot. Everything as root ( use sudo ).
And it worked! My iPod Touch 2.1 works perfectly with Ubuntu Hardy running Windows XP SP2 with iTunes 8.

I didn't even have to recompile.
fedoraso

Post by fedoraso »

Is there a fix for Fedora 9?
bethanika

How can you tell when an ipod battery is about to die for go

Post by bethanika »

Well people, I've always heard that first-gen iPod nanos die after about two years, and mine is getting close to that. What are some signs and symptoms of an iPod that will soon need it's battery replaced? How can you tell when an ipod battery is about to die for good? Please let me know your opinion. If you have any real ideas, Please let me know that. Thanks a lot in advance.
Last edited by bethanika on 26. Oct 2008, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: How can you tell when an ipod battery is about to die fo

Post by Sasquatch »

bethanika wrote:Well people, I've always heard that first-gen iPod nanos die after about two years, and mine is getting close to that. What are some signs and symptoms of an iPod that will soon need it's battery replaced? How can you tell when an ipod battery is about to die for good? Please let me know your opinion. If you have any real ideas, Please let me know that. Thanks a lot in advance.
Last time I checked, this isn't the Apple forums, but Virtualbox. Your question has nothing to do with VB. Anyway, the first sympton of a bad battery is long charge time and low discharge time (that is, runs out fast).

Hint: don't go for an iPod as next mp3 player, they suck anyway :P. I'm not fond of them.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Ninety

Post by Ninety »

Hello everybody,

I also have trouble getting my iPod touch (1.1.5) working on Windows XP SP2 (Error : 0xE8000035 when I launch iTunes 8.0.1.11). I'm running VirtualBox 2.0.4 under Ubuntu 8.10 (My laptop is a HP Compaq 6720s).

Has anyone tried the solution posted by jackkerouac with Ubuntu 8.10 (2.6.27)? I think I'm going to try it out... I'll see what happens ^^.

By the way, I'd like to thank everybody who's helping VB growing up because they are doing an amazing job, which result in an amazing software!

EDIT : Trying to use the 2.6.24-usbcore.ko file with the 2.6.27 kernel wasn't a good idea :D. After reboot, none of my USB devices were working. Hopefully I found the 2.6.27-usbcore.ko version right here... it worked ! Perfect.

Now, my next goal is to upgrade my iPod touch from 1.1.5 to 2.1 but it looks a bit tricky... read this and the post that follows. If anyone has more information on how to upgrade the firmware feel free to help =).
huanix

A script to make the iPhone work on an ubuntu host

Post by huanix »

I wrote a script using some code from the support ticket (http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/491) to update the usb driver and recompile the kernel. This fix appears to be working for anyone running ubuntu, and it will work for 32-bit or 64 bit kernels.

The script will modify the usb driver and recompile your kernel; then it will ask you to reboot your computer. After you reboot, you should be able to load a virtual machine and have it recognize your iphone!

Direct download: http://www.huanix.com/wp-content/upload ... _iphone.sh

Link to the post and instructions for running a shell script:
http://www.huanix.com/2008/10/31/making ... gh-ubuntu/
Ninety

Post by Ninety »

Is it for the 2.6.24 or 2.6.27 kernel ?
huanix

Post by huanix »

The script will detect your kernel and modify it appropriately. You will probably have to re-run it each time you upgrade the kernel until VirtualBox releases 2.1.
jackkerouac

Post by jackkerouac »

huanix wrote:The script will detect your kernel and modify it appropriately. You will probably have to re-run it each time you upgrade the kernel until VirtualBox releases 2.1.
Unfortunately, I tried your script on 2.6.27.-7 and it didn't work for me. Too bad, too - I had my iPod Touch working under Hardy, but now that I've upgraded to Intrepid, it's no go. Sigh.
Ninety

Post by Ninety »

Have you tried with this file : http://www.scott-wallace.net/misc/usbco ... mod.tar.gz

and these instructions (usbcore.ko must be in /home/username/) :

Code: Select all

chmod 644 usbcore.ko
sudo cp usbcore.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/core
sudo depmod -ae
sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo reboot
It worked for me with 2.6.27-7 kernel, Ubuntu 8.10.
Last edited by Ninety on 3. Nov 2008, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.