ipod touch / iphone (virtualbox v1.5.4 winXP client)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jackkerouac

Post by jackkerouac »

Ninety wrote:Have you tried with this file : http://www.scott-wallace.net/misc/usbco ... mod.tar.gz

and these instructions :

Code: Select all

chmod 644 usbcore.ko
sudo cp usbcore.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/core
sudo depmod -ae
sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo reboot
It worked for me with 2.6.27-7 kernel, Ubuntu 8.10.
Actually, I got it to work (yay!).

What was happening is that when I was using sudo update-initramfs -u, for some reason, it was updating the 2.6.25 kernel and leaving the 2.6.27 one alone.

When I ran sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.27-7-generic, it worked great. Thanks a lot!
huanix

Making an iPhone work in an XP Virtualbox machine in Ubuntu

Post by huanix »

Okay, I modified my script to fix both problems with Ubuntu 8.10:

1. USB doesn't work at all because there's no mount point; edit /etc/fstab to fix it.
2. For the iPhone to sync, MAX_USBFS_BUFFER_SIZE needs to be modified in drivers/usb/core/devio.c

I tried this on fresh installs with 32 bit and AMD64 and it worked on both. If you want to try it, please follow the link to the post and read the instructions before proceeding. Let me know how it works.. i'll keep trying until i get it right!

http://www.huanix.com/2008/11/03/fixing ... indows-xp/
Ninety

Post by Ninety »

Suddenly I got the 0xE8000035 error again so I ran your script. It worked but it downloaded the whole kernel on my Desktop (280 MB approx.). Why is that ? You only need a modified version of usbcore.ko and devio.c isn't it ?

However, can I delete the kernel folder on my Desktop (it's own by root.root) ?
huanix

Why download kernel source?

Post by huanix »

The script will generate the correct usb.ko for you. It's better than downloading it because it's kernel specific.
Ninety

Post by Ninety »

Ah alright. What about the kernel folder on my Desktop, can I delete it ?
huanix

Deleting the kernel folder

Post by huanix »

Ninety wrote:Ah alright. What about the kernel folder on my Desktop, can I delete it ?
You can delete it. i meant for the script to do it in virtualbox-iphone-r7.sh , but i didn't finish in time. right now i'm working on a native install through wine ( http://www.huanix.com/2008/11/12/itunes ... izes-ipod/ ), but i'm still planning to update the script every week to add features - currently working on support for fedora and suse. I'll try to keep improving it until Sun fixes the bug in a release.
james.wilde

USB in XP guest on Ubuntu 8.10 host

Post by james.wilde »

Sorry, I'm obviously missing something here, and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have the binaries installed (not virtualbox-ose). I have modified usbcore.ko. I have rebooted. I have marked USB to be enabled and created four non-specific filters (since I have four ports on the computer).

In the Virtualbox command console for my vm I can see that USB is enabled with 4 active filters. In the vm window itself, under Devices, I can see my wireless mouse, my keyboard and my iPod, all greyed out. If I hover over one of them I see the following:

Vendor ID xxx
Product ID xxx
Revision xxx
Serial No xxx
State Unavailable

Strange that the mouse and keyboard are unavailable, as I am using them in the vm now.

If I hover over the USB icon at the bottom of the vm window I see:

"Indicates the activity of the attached USB devices:
No USB devices attached"

And finally, on my Ubuntu desktop I can see a beautiful icon of an iPod.

But iTunes will not load my iPod in the XP vm.

I appreciate all that you have done, and hope that someone can help me fix this last step.

//James
james.wilde

iPod functionality in Virtualbox

Post by james.wilde »

OK, I have found a solution which has worked for me. It's at this location:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=828927

All the time I've been adding the vboxuser gid to /etc/fstab. This thread uses plugdev gid instead (46 on my setup). Actually, I have both in fstab at the moment. Sometime I'll take the vboxusers line out and see if anything breaks, but at the moment iTunes can see my iPod.

Thanks to all who made suggestions or gave leads.

//James