Windows 98 (Win98) general discussion

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rebus

Post by rebus »

postfix wrote::idea: Bearwindows has updated his free Win9x and WinNt VESA/VBE-drivers
for SVGA and included a special driver for VirtualBox :D

:arrow: http://bearwindows.boot-land.net
:arrow: http://www.geocities.com/bearwindows/index.htm

Many thanks to Bearwindows!
Well done!
My host is winXP pro Sp3
in my guest I have Win98 - Second Edition 4.10.2222 A.
on VB Version 1.6.6

I'am usign the driver : VBE Miniport - Standard PCI Graphics Adapter
and I can only use the 800x600 16 color resolution :?

I would like to use VB for old Win98 games but ... only 16 color is not acceptable :cry:

TIP:
In the colours list I can see 16 256 65536 (16 bit and 15 bit ??)
The MAZZTer
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Chromium OS, Windows

Post by The MAZZTer »

rebus: Do not use the "VirtualBox" drivers, use the "uni" ones. The "VirtualBox" drivers there are obsolete, if you read the notes on the website, and shouldn't be used. I had a similar problem to you and fixed it by switching to the "uni" drivers.

These VESA drivers work great, only problem is that I get this whenever I open a console window (in windowed mode)

http://x.mzzt.net/2008.09.24.15.38.51.png

Screen res doesn't matter, but bit depth does. 24 and 32 both give this, but if I go down to 256 colors it isn't as bad. The screen is simply stretched so I can't see the right half (but at least I can still do stuff).

It's still annoying. Installing other adapter driver variants from the "uni" directory doesn't fix it. Anyone figure this out?
rebus

Post by rebus »

The MAZZTer wrote:rebus: Do not use the "VirtualBox" drivers, use the "uni" ones. The "VirtualBox" drivers there are obsolete, if you read the notes on the website, and shouldn't be used. I had a similar problem to you and fixed it by switching to the "uni" drivers.

These VESA drivers work great, only problem is that I get this whenever I open a console window (in windowed mode)

http://x.mzzt.net/2008.09.24.15.38.51.png

Screen res doesn't matter, but bit depth does. 24 and 32 both give this, but if I go down to 256 colors it isn't as bad. The screen is simply stretched so I can't see the right half (but at least I can still do stuff).

It's still annoying. Installing other adapter driver variants from the "uni" directory doesn't fix it. Anyone figure this out?
1. thank you very much

2. I hope tahat in the future the driver will be implemented with 3d feature/acceleration so I can use VB also for my the old favorite games...
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

rebus:

Are you joking ?
Do you realize the complexity of writing 3D driver for Windows 98 ?
It is *too* complex, so I bet no one will do this.
rebus

Post by rebus »

Technologov wrote:rebus:

Are you joking ?
Do you realize the complexity of writing 3D driver for Windows 98 ?
It is *too* complex, so I bet no one will do this.
No, I can only immagine that
starting by zero is quite impossible :?

But I think that
starting from a open source project
linke this: http://www.mesa3d.org/
shoud not be inmpossible create
a "general-open-gl"
software driver ... :?:

but may be I am too mutch optimistic :oops:
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

AFAIR, the Win9x display system runs within the Win16 environment. I would suspect that incorporating and 3D system into this is really a major rewrite. I would have thought that the best chance here is Wine, not such a root-and-branch upgrade of a legacy OS.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
generallee
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows 98

Re: Windows 98 (Win98) general discussion

Post by generallee »

hello
i have windows 7 home premium 64:bit some host and i cant fix the sound on my guest windos 98 i tried the sound blaster 16 and that dident work.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

No Infos, no help.

Be specific. "Does not work" and "tried all" does not really help.
generallee
Guest OSses: windows 98

Post by generallee »

when i install the sound doesent work and i tried the soundblaster 16 but no luck. and it´s like the computer doesent know the sound exist, and i dont know how to do to fix the sound.
im a first timer. haha

i have install windows 98 se bootable on my windoxs 7 home premium 64:bit

My soundcard:
ATI High Definition Audio Divice
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
gkalibaan
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: win98

Post by gkalibaan »

benunh wrote:
I've been trying to get Win98 networking to work for some time now.
I'm no computer genius (what am I doing here?!), so if you could give me some instructions on how to get this feature working, My host is Windows XP SP3 and I'm running Win98 1st edition in Virtual Machine.
Thanks!

Ben
you need to set up the network in vbox as host only or nat, and set the workgroup name to the same name as on your xp host machine. and have the virtual network device in vbox to one of the amd*** cards.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

generallee wrote:when i install the sound doesent work and i tried the soundblaster 16 but no luck
You select "SoundBlaster 16" as the sound card type for the guest. You select "DirectSound" as the sound handler on the host. You may need to "Add Hardware" inside the Win98 guest, to make sure it is using its SB16 drivers.

The physical sound card used on your host PC is irrelevant to your virtual PC.
Guigui
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
Guest OSses: MS Seven Ultimate x64

Re:

Post by Guigui »

postfix wrote::idea: Bearwindows has updated his free Win9x and WinNt VESA/VBE-drivers
for SVGA and included a special driver for VirtualBox :D

:arrow: http://bearwindows.boot-land.net
:arrow: http://www.geocities.com/bearwindows/index.htm

Many thanks to Bearwindows!
Well done!
Please, anyone can be give these drivers because the website is dead !
(if possible give all drivers for Windows 95/98/Me/NT4, not only Windows 98)

Thank you !
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Look in the Howto area for up-to-date tutorials with up-to-date links.
Polda18
Guest OSses: MS-DOS, Ubuntu

Re: theres a free Win98-VESA-Driver

Post by Polda18 »

postfix wrote:theres a free Win98-VESA-Driver

I found the following:

VBEMP x86 Project
-------------------
gives you:
- Universal VESA/VBE Video Display Driver (for 9x-family operating systems)
- Universal VESA/VBE Video Display Driver (for NT-family operating systems)

** no crack needed, because it's free! **

Projekt-Seite: http://www.geocities.com/bearwindows/
(folgt man den Download-Links verweist dieser schließlich auf http://www.navozhdeniye.narod.ru/vbemp9x.zip)

Diesen lud ich runter und entpackte es in Diskettenimage. Dann meinem altes Windows98SE VirtualBox (HostOS: Windows 2000 Prof.) installiert und rechtsklickte im freien Win98SE-Desktop; dann im Kontektmenü auf "Eigenschaften"->Register "Einstellungen"->"Weitere Optionen"->Register "Grafikkarte"->"Ändern"->"Weiter"->"Eine Liste der Treiber in einem bestimmten Verzeichnis zum Auswählen anzeigen"->"Weiter"->"Diskette"->dann eingebundenes Diskettenimage "A:\vbe9x\ati\vbemp.inf"->"OK"

...und Vin98SE neu booten.

Danach dann wieder im freien Win98SE-Desktop; dann im Kontektmenü auf "Eigenschaften"->Register "Einstellungen"-> die Farben auf "True Image - 24 Bit" (nie 32Bit einstellen!!) umd Bildschirmbereich z.B. auf "800x600 Pixel" einstellen.

Ich habe diese beiden Einstellung jeweils gesetzt ohne Vin98SE neu zu booten. So blieb es stabil.

*** Und noch rasch "Rain 2.0" auf Win98SE installiert (Quelle: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download430.html) ***
Downloaded and it installed perfectly. But I experienced an issue. Screen is completely black (guest screen, of course). I still can use the computer, click on things, log in, but I do not see anything. I do not see where I am clicking. Is that a known bug? Or I screwed something up? I'm using Windows 98 Second Edition OEM running under Windows 10 Home hosting system, with VirtualBox version 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2) - should be the most recent one. As soon as I installed Windows 98, I went ahead and decided to install the VBE drivers, too. Went to Graphics adapter, chose to change driver, selected the downloaded drivers from the Russian sites (I decided to select UNI version). It installed and I could immediately change screen resolution. However, it forced me to restart computer. It increased resolution, but the guest screen is completely black. Now what to do?

BTW, what do you say to this: irrelevant offsite linked deleted by moderator.

EDIT: It returned to normal when restarted, screen was normally visible, using new resolution. Thank you for awesome drivers :)
Last edited by mpack on 1. Jun 2017, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted link.
The hell good boy
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

This topic was opened in 2007, predating several of the tutorials in the HOWTOs area. I think it has run its course, locking it.