Windows 98 (Win98) general discussion

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
postfix

Post by postfix »

:idea: Bearwindows has updated his free Win9x and WinNt VESA/VBE-drivers
for SVGA and included a special driver for VirtualBox :D

:arrow: http://bearwindows.boot-land.net
:arrow: http://www.geocities.com/bearwindows/index.htm

Many thanks to Bearwindows!
Well done!
chungy
Volunteer

Re: Windows 98 (Win98) general discussion

Post by chungy »

cybertheque wrote: 1. Scitech Display Doctor 7 needs no 'crack' to disable the 21 day
timeout; it can be 'registered' from the app's user interface using
a known-good registration code. I have tested the timeout by
advancing the clock and report that all references to 'trial period'
are gone.
Can I ask what the known-good registration codes are? I tried the 6.x reg codes but they don't seem to work...
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

No need.

Try new freeware driver:
http://www.geocities.com/bearwindows/vbe9x.htm

-Technologov
chungy
Volunteer

Post by chungy »

Tried and couldn't get it to work....

edit: nevermind, I tried the universal driver this time and it worked. Odd that his "VirtualBox" driver doesn't work with VirtualBox!
postfix

Post by postfix »

Bearwindows' VBE9x works fine. Did you read how to install it and Bearwindow's installalation notes at http://www.geocities.com/bearwindows/vbe9x.htm?

There a 2 links:
-> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/131806
-> http://www.geocities.com/bearwindows/263391.htm
winlinux

Post by winlinux »

I'm also having a problem getting Win 98 to run. It ends with "guru meditation", after crashing while attempting to run Explorer.

Not sure what to do, other than try to find an XP disk somewhere.
chungy
Volunteer

Post by chungy »

What is the exact version string if you open the system properties (right click My Computer, and select Properties)? iirc, there's "First Edition" or the original Windows 98, and two versions of 98 Second Edition (4.10.2222, and 4.10.2222 A with an update). This could be useful information for finding your problem.

I do not have the issue in Second Edition 4.10.2222 A.
winlinux

Post by winlinux »

chungy wrote:What is the exact version string if you open the system properties (right click My Computer, and select Properties)? iirc, there's "First Edition" or the original Windows 98, and two versions of 98 Second Edition (4.10.2222, and 4.10.2222 A with an update). This could be useful information for finding your problem.
Asking me? I can't even get it to get me the Start menu.
chungy
Volunteer

Post by chungy »

Hmm.. do you know at least weather you have first or second edition?

To check, look at the WIN98 directory on the CD-ROM, do the WIN98_* CAB files go up to 69 or 74?
winlinux

Post by winlinux »

chungy wrote:To check, look at the WIN98 directory on the CD-ROM, do the WIN98_* CAB files go up to 69 or 74?
They go up to 69. I assume this means I have the antique version?

I'm trying to find someone who has an XP disk. I know that I did have one that came with one of my computers but I can't find it. But the computer still has the activation codes on it, so if I can find the disk I can activate it. XP is going to be a lot more useful than 98 for me.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

VirtualBox is _really_ not optimized for Win98.

But it works.
chungy
Volunteer

Post by chungy »

winlinux wrote:They go up to 69. I assume this means I have the antique version?

I'm trying to find someone who has an XP disk. I know that I did have one that came with one of my computers but I can't find it. But the computer still has the activation codes on it, so if I can find the disk I can activate it. XP is going to be a lot more useful than 98 for me.
That means you have the first version of Windows 98 (which is much more buggy an unstable).

Also, your activation codes for a real PC will not work. This isn't usually an issue though if you haven't (re)installed Windows XP within 6 months.
winlinux

Post by winlinux »

chungy wrote:That means you have the first version of Windows 98 (which is much more buggy an unstable).
Got it. So it's probably worthless and I should stop wasting time on it. I found some sources of XP disks (Craig's List).
chungy wrote:Also, your activation codes for a real PC will not work. This isn't usually an issue though if you haven't (re)installed Windows XP within 6 months.
Those codes have never been used; usually when I get a new PC my first action is to put in an Ubuntu install disk so its first boot is into the installer.

For my next PC, I think what I'll do is leave the Vista partition in place, install Linux, and then be able to run Vista from within VirtualBox.
winlinux

Post by winlinux »

Ok, I located a beautiful, pristine, XPsp1 disk, without so much as a fingerprint on it. Time to see how VirtualBox digests it. Hopefully I'll soon have an answer to all my non-Linux needs, from within the goodness and purity and sanctity of Linux.
benunh

Re: Windows 98 (Win98) general discussion

Post by benunh »

cybertheque wrote:
4. Network IP routing between the guest and host works when IP packet
forwarding is enabled in the host's registry (must be manually
changed) and persistent (published) routes set up on the host,
and the virtual NIC is set up as a TAP interface (not bridging or NAT).
Thanks for the thread Michael.

I've been trying to get Win98 networking to work for some time now.
I'm no computer genius (what am I doing here?!), so if you could give me some instructions on how to get this feature working, I would be indebted to you.
My host is Windows XP SP3 and I'm running Win98 1st edition in Virtual Machine.
Thanks!

Ben