error: need video support for live video YV12 or YUY2

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
tcdrew4

error: need video support for live video YV12 or YUY2

Post by tcdrew4 »

Vbox 1.5.2 on Linux host 7.10, win XP guest, vboxguestadditions 1.5.2

Problem: Program WiLife (video surveillance application) gives warning promt that " your video card and video driver do not support live video such as YV12 or YUY2 ." Where I should see the video stream is black.

Program works fine using vmware server but I would like to use vbox instead.

Using virtual box graphics adapter 1.4.00
Virtual box device 5.0.2072.0
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

That might be a DirectX problem in our additions video driver. Does disabling hardware acceleration inside the guest help (go to the advanced properties of the display driver, select troubleshoot and move the slider to 'none')
tcdrew4

Post by tcdrew4 »

Thanks for the prompt reply

Decreasing the hardware acceleration 3 notches from full ( that disables all Direct Draw & Direct X) allows the video feed to be seen live using the WiLife command screen.

The WiLife application interface allows you to view a split screen of several video feeds at once. When viewing multiple screens the image is visable but not sharp. If I maximize the application to full screen the image is sharp and normal. Also, I noted that when I replay saved images using windows media player the quality is normal.

Being a user of both vmware server 1.04 and Vbox 1.52 I have to give the edge to vbox. The ability to add Windoze only USB devices without restarting the guest ( such as ski caddie, tom tom navigation, dell axim using active sync) and ease of file sharing with host puts vbox on top.

Thanks again!
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

Great. Is there any demo version available that shows the same problem? I'd like to see this fixed.

Thanks.
tcdrew4

Post by tcdrew4 »

You can down load the software here: http://www.wilife.com/Support/Downloads.aspx

How to simulate the video feed is beyond me but I do Know you can use powerline adapters other than their own.

The workaround of decreasing the hardware accelerations allows the video to be seen but the mouse has that delayed trail apperance which is rather annoying. Therefore I still use vmware for the cameras but I use virtual box for all other windows needs.

I'll keep checking

Thanks