Network+ won't work in Windows 7 guest on Ubuntu (Code 12)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
danielzen
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7 64-bit

Network+ won't work in Windows 7 guest on Ubuntu (Code 12)

Post by danielzen »

I have been trying to figure this out for awhile, and am at the point of giving up.

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit
I have Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate on another partition
I created a vmdk that refers to the Windows partition without any problems.
I can boot into Windows 7 within VirtualBox and it looks great.
I installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions

However, within the Windows 7 guest OS' Device Manager I see several devices with yellow exclamation marks:
Under Display Adapters: VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
Under Network Adapters: Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter
Under Other Devices: Multimedia Audio Controller
Under System Devices: VirtualBox Device
Under Universal Serial Bus controllers: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C, AND
Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller

Each one claims:
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device. you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

I have tried extracting the drivers from VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe and doing an update.
I have tried Bridge Mode as well as NAT, and have considered the virtio kvm drivers that are now supported.

Bottom line: always see the message about not finding enough resources, and am not sure with devices to disable (or if that's really what I need to do)

HELP!

Thanks,
zen
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Network+ won't work in Windows 7 guest on Ubuntu (Code 12)

Post by Perryg »

From the sounds of it you are using raw for this access. Brave, but you can actually kill Windows from booting native if you continue on your present path.
Installing additions and changing the native network drivers is not going to make booting Windows any easier when you decide to go native with it.

I need to ask if you have read the VirtualBox users manual and all the warnings about raw access. You might want to see what it has to say.

If this is not the case then maybe you can explain it a little better so we can see where you are having problems.
paulboyer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7

Post by paulboyer »

Same issue here. Did you find a solution ?
crschimidt
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by crschimidt »

Hi,

I hope this help a little. I search at internet how to eliminate "Code 12, the device cannot find enough resources" for VirtualBox Device, Virtualbox Graphics Adapter and network adapter Intel Pro 1000.

I discover myself that you have to replace driver for "PCI Bus". In my case it was "AMD pci express 3gio filter" and if you open Device Manager and right click over this one, just choose "update driver software", "Browse my computer for driver software", "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and choose "PCI Bus".

After that all drivers won't show code 12.

Schimidt
tastewar
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Vista

Re: Network+ won't work in Windows 7 guest on Ubuntu (Code 1

Post by tastewar »

OK, I registered for the forums here *just* to be able to say thank you. Changing the PCI bus driver on my guest system made all my exclamations disappear in Device Manager. It all works now!!

And I must say, this is after days of frustration trying to get VMWare to work, and half a day of trying to get Windows Virtual PC to work. Thanks crschimidt!
Glxtreme

Post by Glxtreme »

Hi! im new to linux and virtualbox, (I was a Windows and Vmware User) i'm just getting to know it (i use Ubuntu 11.10 updated and virtual box 4.1.8) and i managed to restore a remastersys version of my own ubuntu on a vm, a acronis image of that system, a mondo rescue debian 5 with Raid 1 and now i was trying to restore my Windows 7 machine.

I restored it from an Acronis TIB image, also with a vconverted vmdk, and managed to boot up the system by placing the Hard Drive on a SCSI controller. any other controller gave me a BSOD, IDE and SATA.

After i got to the system i noticed the issue you described, and i just wanted to thank you personally, since you saved me a lot of time installing all my apps.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: THANK YOU!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NOW, i'm struggling to completely leave this VM optimal and to get more performance on the VM since it runs a little choppy.

If you have any input on the Hard Drive Controller and performance boosts i'd appreciate it, and keep posting on this and another issues.

If you have any questions on the VM's i restored, remastersys on ubuntu 11.10 and Acronis imaging and restoring on VM i'd be glad to help.

Thanks!
RWallace
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: win7 win 98 ultimate boot cd

Post by RWallace »

crschimidt, You are da man. Spent 2 hours trying to figure it out, then to the forums, AND BAM 10 minutes its working!!
Had to get a backup file created by specialized software since the laptop had GPU overheat failure. THANKS!!
tangram67

Post by tangram67 »

Just solved my problems after days of googling and trying.
Many many thanks :!:
Esogas

Post by Esogas »

Years later and I also want to say, this worked for me too, thanks crschimidt. I also registered just to say thanks.

Host: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Guest: Windows10
VirtualBox: 5.1.4 r110228 (Qt 5.5.1)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard with intel chipset

Symptoms: Networking didn't work, Video didn't work, Guest Editions didn't work because drivers all show this code 12 error.

Solution:
1. In Windows 10, right click on start menu and select Device Manager
2. In System Devices, look for something that says 3gio filter
3. Right click on it, and follow the instructions from Schimidt, ultimately choosing PCI Bus rather than the 3gio filter
4. Restart, be happy, extole the virtues of crschimidt and ask for blessings on all his or her posterity.
bhweb

Post by bhweb »

10 years later, crschimidt if you are still on here, I just want to say another big thank you for this solution.

I had just posted a couple days ago in this forum because I had a Windows 10 VM that all of a sudden was giving me the error 12's. The funny thing is it didn't happen until after the Windows guest installed the version 1903 update.

But updating the PCI Bus component fixed it. I'm wondering if it had something to do with this VM usually in the past being run on systems with AMD processors, but now I'm running an Intel processor. It still doesn't explain how it was working fine until the WIndows update.

Anyway, I'm glad I changed my search parameters and came up with this thread. Kudos.