Sony PRS500 Connect software in XP VB guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
nobodie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: winxp, pclinux, kubuntu, jolicloud, arch, solaris,

Sony PRS500 Connect software in XP VB guest

Post by nobodie »

Why am I always trying to do this stuff?
I have a Sony PRS500 (it's an OK e-book reader with the new e-ink screen).
It is buggy enough to get it running in a dedicated Windows machine, but Sony doesn't seem to want to apologize for this or to try to solve it. Imagine the problems in VB.
It installs OK, but won't run, at all. I get about a 1 second "busy" on the mouse cursor and then nothing. With a previous attempt I got a "there is another instance of Connect running" (Connect is their proprietary software- and when Sony says proprietary they mean it, this is trash that barely functions so who would want to steal it--for transferring the books to the reader.).

The USB on VB (oh, I'm using 1.5.2) picks it up as the "SOny Portable Reading SYstem" but it is the software that doesn't run. While it would start in VB1.4, it also wouldn't run. I was hoping for an improvement in 1.5, but I know that a niche product like this is about priority -1000. Frankly I would put Sony stuff at the bottom of my list too, its just their trash is cheap enough to work for me, sometimes.

Any help on this would be great.

Oh I should remark that I can fix the problem just by buying SD memory and an SD reader for my machine and using that to load books instead of the Connect software so Don't think that I'm desperate or upset, just mildly annoyed at SOny. But I do love this product and find that the forum has solved some major problems for me, so if someone is interested in chewing on this that might be fun for us.

so, thanks
as in the past, the future is in eggs