XP Pro Host - XP Pro Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
PeteD

XP Pro Host - XP Pro Guest

Post by PeteD »

Has anyone got shared folders to work properly in this configuration.

I have 2 versions of linux running and no problems with the shared folders of the XP Pro Host (apart from losing the mounts after a reboot). I can access the shares and play media files, copy paste etc.

With XP Pro as the Guest I can set up the shared folders and map them, but then the Guest just hangs up....explorer.exe hangs, and if I stop and re-start it, it does the same. This happens even if I set up the mapping in a command window.

This isn't the case with server 2003. The share mapping is ok, but i have problems playing media files off of the share (Xvid and Mp3), WMP says it can't connect to the files to play them (i can copy the same file to the local c drive and it will play from there). All other files open off of the share ok. I have updated the clipboard and vboxservice.exe files but this hasn't helped, other than the copy/paste now works properly.

Without shared folders working, the VM is limited in its useability.

Cheers.

Pete
PeteD

Post by PeteD »

Ok, an update.

I've given up entirely on using shared folders where a M$ OS is the Guest OS. I've now got everything working as I want using a Virtual NIC bridged to my real one. This works perfectly and the mapping persists between sessions. The problems I had with shared folders were the same on 3 different PC's, so this eliminates any issues with my PC.

What is interesting though, is this. I downloaded and tried out M$ Virtual PC just to compare and had exactly the same problem with Vista as the guest OS. I could see and browse the shared folders of the Host OS, but I could not get WMP to play media files off of them. As before, I could open other files, pictures, html, docs etc and even install apps. The best result I got was installing Winamp, which would start playing MP3 files, but then randomly stop for no reason.

Maybe this folder sharing isn't just a VirtualBox issue after all!

Oh, and for the record, I didn't think much of VPC. Vbox is much better.

Pete
juppc

Post by juppc »

hi,

I used MS Virtual Pc too, XP home as Host an Guest. There was no problem at all. Except Virtual PC has no USB support.
So I tried VirtualBox. But I expierienced the same problems as you an some more.

I have absolut no experience to build a network.
May be your can explain in detail what to do create Virtual NIC bridge.

Thank you in advanced