Screen does not update properly in Adobe Lightroom

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mhorowitz

Screen does not update properly in Adobe Lightroom

Post by mhorowitz »

I am running virtualbox 1.5.2 with host ubuntu 7.10 and guest windows xp.

I have installed Adobe Lightroom, and while most of it works fine, there is one critical problem. When viewing images in Loupe or Compare view, image rendering is broken if I use VRDP or the VirtualBox app. In the VRDP case, the pictures often do not appear at all. If they do appear, they are not redrawn properly. For example, moving the image kind of smears it around. If I minimize and restore the window, the part of the screen which should contain the picture shows whatever was on the background before. In VirtualBox, the problem is more subtle. Pictures are rendered, but they do not always update when they should. One way I can reproduce this is to minimize the window and then restore it. Often the image will be partially but not completely rendered, or will be rendered at low resolution but not updated to high resolution.

If I rdesktop into the guest directly, rather than into the VRDP port, then everything renders fine, although only at 16 bits deep, which is a big problem for photography software.

Although Lightroom is commercial software, there is a free 30 day eval available which was sufficient for me to replicate the problem.

Is there a setting or something I need to use to make Lightroom work? Or is this a bug?

Thanks!