Rotate display in windows 7

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
skade88
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WinXP, Win7

Rotate display in windows 7

Post by skade88 »

Hello all,

I need some tips with rotating the screen in Windows 7. I installed the Guest Additions. The screen rotate setting is not where it should be in Win7. I do not see any settings in VirturalBox to rotate the screen. Can anyone help please?

--Skade
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Rotate display in windows 7

Post by Sasquatch »

Rotation is a driver feature and if you need rotation, use the Host for that. What use is it to have the Guest rotated when the Guest stays the way it is?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
ftrobaugh
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP

Post by ftrobaugh »

If I understand your question correctly, you have rotated your host screen, but the guest you are running in VB is still in landscape mode so that the guest desktop disappears off the side of the monitor and there is dead space above and below the guest desktop. This was the same problem I had, and I was able to fix it by going to the Machine menu in VB and selecting "Auto-Resize Guest Display."

I hope this helps.
JLPinheiro

Post by JLPinheiro »

Hi,
I am a Designer and it is of great use for me to have 16:9 or 9:16 and 4:3 or 3:4 screeen format options, regardless of host screen.
That way I can simulate 2 digital signage screens within my own host screen and I will be able to put both 16:9 and 9:16 side by side and check how stuff is going, and for design purposes to have a virtual machine as digital signage player
Even for site development nowadays it does come in handy, so I can check not only several resolutions for responsive development as I can check Logged in and Looged out versions of a site
And quite a few other aplications
So yes... for quite a lot of us, screen rotation is of extreme importance
now with this in mind, let me ask how do I proceed to have 2 virtual machines running side by side, one in portrait and the other one in landscape?
waiting for your response
thank you
Best regards
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

Try using the Guest's own settings, e.g. in Windows 10 you search search for "screen orientation".
computing@chg.me.uk

Post by computing@chg.me.uk »

Edit:  
Sasquatch wrote:Rotation is a driver feature and if you need rotation, use the Host for that. What use is it to have the Guest rotated when the Guest stays the way it is?
Well the attached is an example of a today problem which could be easily solved if the display driver for a notebook was available. with both invert and rotate.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211102_114714.reduced size.png
Screenshot_20211102_114714.reduced size.png (79.31 KiB) Viewed 6242 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

"Portrait mode" is a solution when the physical screen needs to be rotated. If one physically rotates a laptop or monitor and sets the host to Portrait, and the VM has Auto-Resize Guest Display enabled, per 'ftrobaugh' above, the VM will follow the tall narrow screen shape and be portraited too.

But one can achieve the tall and narrow screen size concept by dragging the screen to tall and narrow proportions on a landscape monitor.