Windows guests XP & 2003 : copy-paste problem

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
FreeBeber

Windows guests XP & 2003 : copy-paste problem

Post by FreeBeber »

Hi,

I want to report a problem on windows guests. I have seen this has been reported with a Windows 2000 guest here http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... copy+paste and with another copy-paste issue here http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... copy+paste .

main OS on my laptop : Windows XP SP2 (this is not the guest machine, virtualBox is installed on a Windows XP)
Version of VirtualBox : 1.5.2, windowsXP client
Problem identified on guests running the following OS : Windows XP and Windows 2003
The guests contain the client additions : yes
Rebooted the guests after installing the client additions : yes

Problem :
Copy-paste doesn't work in these two guests.
First, I right-click a file and choose "copy". Then, when I go to a different folder, I do not have the option to do "paste".
I have tried to to do a cut-paste but there is the same problem.
This is for copy-paste inside one guest machine. Not from a guest machine to another, or from a guest to my main OS !

Alternative manipulation before a solution is found :
I am able to copy files the following way :
I open a window for the source folder and another window for the destination. I drag and drop the file to copy it.

Would like to be able to copy and paste files by using the right-click of my mouse.

Thank you for your help !
johnlafontaine

Copy/Paste does not work

Post by johnlafontaine »

I have the same problem Windows Xp sp2 host 3 Windows sp2 Guests none will paste but all have copy option. None of them will paste anything, icons, text or anything. All things have to be dragged and dropped.
thomas.ene

One possible fix

Post by thomas.ene »

I've got exactly the same problem. However I was able to find a temporary solution.

While the Guest OS is powered down:
- open the settings panel of the Guest OS
- General: Advanced
- Shared Clipboard: change to disabled

That means you won't be able to share the clipboard between the Host OS and the Guest OS anymore ... which in our case didn't work anyway.

I can hardly wait a fix for this issue because we do indeed like the virtualbox experience. :D