iTunes crashing on 3.2.0

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
silawet
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: windows

Re: iTunes crashing on 3.2.0

Post by silawet »

all other areas of trouble shooting did not fix my problem

once i enabled hardware virtulization in the bios itunes started no problem every time.
kw1502
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by kw1502 »

I´d like to add my experiences on this topic. My host OS is Ubuntu 10.04, guest Windows XP both 32 bit. I ran Vbox 3.2.4 and iTunes 9.0.1.8. Everything worked well until I tried to upgrade to iTunes 9.2. The upgrade appeared successful, but when I try to run iTunes 9.2 I get:

iTunes was not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes.
Error 7 (Windows error 123)

My version of Quicktime (QT) is 7.6.6 and it works fine after the upgrade. I also verified that VT-x is enabled in Vbox and my BIOS. I tried in reinstall iTunes, install QT first, deleted all Apple related files and get the same results.

As an experiment, I did a P2V conversion of my XP PC using myoldpcs from vmlite.com to see what would happen. I was able to run iTunes 9.2 in the VM in Vbox 3.2.4 with no problems! All tests we done on the same physical hardware and fully patched version of Windows XP SP3.

I my case it looks like there might be some problem installing iTunes 9.2 (and other recent versions) in Vbox.
erikkratz

Post by erikkratz »

As mentioned on another thread, this seems to be resolved with iTunes 10.
erikkratz

Post by erikkratz »

For anyone not following the other thread here, it appears this issue is fixed with iTunes 10, even for machines not supporting VT-x.