Do I need to use a Firewall on a host

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Bardo

Do I need to use a Firewall on a host

Post by Bardo »

Hello all,

I have a XP host and a XP guest.
The XP host is protected by a Firewall. Also between internet and my PC I have a router with firewall.

Do I need to install a firewall in the XP guest if I use it to go onto internet or is the router firewall plus the host firewall sufficent ?

Thanks
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

You want to setup a Fire-Fire-Firewall!

No, let it be, Router is enough.
rogerdugans

Post by rogerdugans »

Using a router AND a software firewall is a damn good idea, nowadays, but there is no reason I can see to use another firewall on the guest:

I believe packets are routed to the host, and THAT firewall should catch any problems the router misses.

Basically, a firewall on the guest would be protecting you from the host computer.
Overclocked, watercooled and running Linux.
New to VirtualBox but very happy with it so far. :)
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

rogerdugans wrote:Using a router AND a software firewall is a damn good idea, nowadays, but there is no reason I can see to use another firewall on the guest:

I believe packets are routed to the host, and THAT firewall should catch any problems the router misses.

Basically, a firewall on the guest would be protecting you from the host computer.

Not true using a network bridge.

But i think, a router firewall is enough.
rogerdugans

Post by rogerdugans »

Actually, you are right on that.

But- correct me if I am wrong on this, but isn't the standard guest networking different than a normal network bridge?

I thought I read something about that in the manual, though I was not paying close attention to that part since I have had no issues with networking...

Maybe it was the vbox filesharing as opposed to normal filesharing I am thinking of.
Overclocked, watercooled and running Linux.
New to VirtualBox but very happy with it so far. :)
Bardo

Post by Bardo »

Thanks for the information.

I will remove the firewall on the guests
PGHammer

Firewalls and VB (or other VM software) guests)

Post by PGHammer »

Bardo wrote:Thanks for the information.

I will remove the firewall on the guests
In most cases, if you have an SPI firewall (included in most recently manufactured routers) you won't need an additional firewall on any computer (real or virtual) behind that firewall. However, anti-malware software (including anti-virus, anti-spam, etc.) is still needed, on both host and all guests that support such software.

This advice is purely generic, and is not specific to VirtualBox.