Access to shared folders - host opensuse10.3 - guest winxp

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
joerg2

Access to shared folders - host opensuse10.3 - guest winxp

Post by joerg2 »

Using vbox 1.5.2 with Opensuse10.3 as host and WinXP as guest I would like to achieve that every Linux-user has access to his home directory from the guest system. I assigned the shared folders use the corresponding function of Virtualbox but have now two problems/questions. I know little about Windows such that I am not sure if these problems are related to windows or to Virtualbox.

1. Mapping of the shared folders. I can not map a shared folder to a network device without administrator rights, i.e. that I have to log in as administrator first and then as a user. How can I achieve that every user has access to its home directory automatically when he/she logs in?

2. Rights. Is there any possibility to transfer the access rights of files/directories of the host system to the guest system?
Ingo
Volunteer

Re: Access to shared folders - host opensuse10.3 - guest win

Post by Ingo »

joerg2 wrote:I know little about Windows such that I am not sure if these problems are related to windows or to Virtualbox.
The problems are related to VirtualBox.
I haven't seen a possibility to transfer the access rights with Shared Folders. There are also some other problems with it. Search for it on this site and you will find many posts.
I suggest (and I'm using it myself) to use Host Interface Networking together with samba on the host. it's stable and you get what you want (access rights, home directories etc.)