Windows Server 2008

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
blue_sassley

Windows Server 2008

Post by blue_sassley »

I got Windows Server 2008 installed this morning on a VB and installed the add-ons but I can't get the network card driver loaded... has anyone setup 2008 yet, and if so how did you load the network driver?

Thanks,
Blue
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Well, it is included on the GuestAdditions CD - look for AMD PCnet network driver directory on the virtual CD.

Unfortunately, it isn't installed by default, when installing VBox guest additions, so you'll have to install it manually via Add/Remove Hardware.
evert
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: many

Post by evert »

I have the same problem, with VirtualBox 1.5.4 & Windows server 2008 Enterprise, build 6001.

The network adapter driver seems to be installed properly, but it's not able to connect to the net, neither with a static IP nor with DHCP.
(With DHCP I do see on the DHCP server messages about a lease being offered without success).

I have removed the driver which 2008 and/or virtualbox additions installed, and replaced it with the driver in the AMD_PCnet folder on the additions 'disk'.

Still no connectivity...
Regards,
Evert
theNURSE

Post by theNURSE »

Hi, currently running RC0 and RC1 through the VB. Both were on the nat and works fine AFTER you install the virtual additons, they bring the AMD driver with them. Works better if you create a host interface (check manual) connected to a network bridge, then use ICS on the host network card to allow the bridge out. Must use fixed IP's of 192.168.x.x with 0.1 as gateway.

I Vista & XP VM on the bridge also, so everybody gets out yet I have control. You can even use AD!!!!!

VB is the best program for virtualizing windows I have found. Try it in seamless mode. Have like 5 start buttons and tool bars from the seamless part. Great demo!!!
evert
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: many

Post by evert »

Hmm, now it suddenly works on my system as well. I had saved the system state last night, and this morning I suddenly had networking up and running...

The same applies for logging in. Some times I have to save system state/restore to get it to accept my password...
Regards,
Evert
theNURSE

Post by theNURSE »

Double HmmHmmm, dont' have the system state/ restore poroblem.
Using 512 Ram, 64 Video, 20 G disk ACPI is on and IO apic is disabled.

Now that it works, try the seamless mode. Also do dcpromo, totally different in 08. Will be trying HyperV on 2008 next week, so 08 running in vb with HV runing something else. Yep, the old double virutual.