Win2k Upgrade CD--installer doesn't see my Win98 CD

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
timzak

Win2k Upgrade CD--installer doesn't see my Win98 CD

Post by timzak »

Just set up VirtualBox in Gutsy and started installing Win2k into it. Win2k is an upgrade CD so it does a CD check for a previous version. When I stick in my Win98 CD it won't recognize it, so I cannot progress in the installation.

Gutsy itself recognizes the Win98 disc, as it pops open a window of it's contents when I stick it in.

Any ideas on how I can get past this part. Both CDs are genuine, legally owned copies.

My next step is to try and install Win98, then upgrade it to Win2k from within, but I hate to not have a clean install. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Best Approach always: Install minimal Win98. Then upgrade Guest to Win2K.

This way the old version is recognized as installed on HD.
timzak

Post by timzak »

stefan.becker wrote:Best Approach always: Install minimal Win98. Then upgrade Guest to Win2K.

This way the old version is recognized as installed on HD.
In that case, do I create a new VM as Win98, then install W98 and upgrade to W2k?

Or do I create the VM as W2k, install W98 first, then immediately upgrade to W2k?

Thank you.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Second one.
timzak

Post by timzak »

Now that I am trying to install W98 first, VirtualBox is not seeing my boot floppy. A boot floppy is needed to install off the CD because the CD is not bootable. So I cannot install Win98 due to VB not seeing the floppy (I did set it as first in boot order), and I cannot install Win2k because it doesn't recognize my W98 CD during the upgrade compliance check.

Any new suggestions?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

You can try to make Images of both CDs.

=> dd if=/dev/hdc of=winXYZ.iso

Then you can try to handle the images instead of host drives.
timzak

Post by timzak »

stefan.becker wrote: => dd if=/dev/hdc of=winXYZ.iso
Can you explain what that line of code means and how I implement it? I'm a fairly new Linux user, so I'm not sure what to do with that line.

Thank you for your help.
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

With dd you can copy the raw data from the floppy or CD into a file and use that file as image. You can select using an image-file instead of a floppy/CD thru the VirtualBox GUI.

Code: Select all

$ dd --help
$ dd if=/dev/hdc of=CD.iso   # make CD iso image
$ dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.img   # make floppy image
PS: You have to use this in a terminal window with a command line.
Chemist69

Re: Win2k Upgrade CD--installer doesn't see my Win98 CD

Post by Chemist69 »

timzak wrote:Just set up VirtualBox in Gutsy and started installing Win2k into it. Win2k is an upgrade CD so it does a CD check for a previous version. When I stick in my Win98 CD it won't recognize it, so I cannot progress in the installation.
Thanks.
Hi,
when the installer asks for the Win98 CD and you have inserted it, don't you just have to mount it by choosing Devices>Mount CD / DVD-ROM in the VBox window ?
FrankVdb

Post by FrankVdb »

I know this is a bit off-topic but in a distant past I bought a copy of Microsoft Office. This was an upgrade version. When trying to install it on a PC without Office installed on it, I managed to get it installed by simply referring to the CD when it asked me to point to an existing installation. Incredible but true.
Install Windows Vista in two minutes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno