permissions problems with winxp apps on shared folders

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
yok-sudo

permissions problems with winxp apps on shared folders

Post by yok-sudo »

Hi Folks,

I'm running Windows XP Pro (SP2) as Guest on Ubuntu Linux 7.10 with VirtualBox 1.5.0, because a well known software company (A....) doesn't port his killerapplications used in the printing industry to the great platform we all love...

When I use the command "net use x \\vboxsvr\whatever" in windows xp the shared folders from VirtualBox come up in the "Workplace" and are usable fast. When I do the same via GUI with Workplace -> Extras -> ... the shared folder works too, but the same folders are damn slow. Why? Is this a Bug? I can't see a reason for that...

I can't open files from the shared folders in windows xp. The files are there, but all windows applications doesn't open files because "they don't have the permission". but when I copy files from the shared folders to - for example - to the windows desktop I can open them in these applications. I'm able to copy files from windows xp into the shared folders and from shared folders to windows xp - so write and read permission is there, but not with with applications who try to read or write files from/to the shared folders. How can I fix this?

Thanks Guys!
Ingo
Volunteer

Re: permissions problems with winxp apps on shared folders

Post by Ingo »

yok-sudo wrote:How can I fix this?
You can't fix it.
Or maybe you can? Then we all will be happy!
Shared Folders are buggy.
If you can't fix it then use Networking together with Samba on the host.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

I think, with "Shared folder problem" search function gives most hits :)
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Yes, but it is also easy to answer ;-)