Strange problem in makng USB work

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
kaiza

Strange problem in makng USB work

Post by kaiza »

Hello everyone,
I've encountered a strange problem while using my VM. I run linux with a patched kernel 2.6.23 as a host system, and windows xp SP2 retail as guest.
At first, the USB device I had connected to VirtualBox (Canon LiDE 70 scanner) didn't want to work: I could install the drivers, but when I tried to use it, it freezed the system and windows said something like the device was busy.
Then I discovered that I could make it work by removing the ehci_hcd module and leaving only the ohci one.
If I'm not wrong the ehci module controls USB 2.0, while ohci controls USB 1.0 or 1.1. Does that mean that USB under VirtualBox works only as 1.x? Or do the two modules conflict with each other, thus preventing the device to work?
At boot time, they are both loaded, even if I blacklist one of them. Moreover, apparently my USB external disk works only with ehci and my mouse only with ohci, so I couldn't even live without either.

Any information I could provide?

Thank you,

k.
rogerdugans

Post by rogerdugans »

Not sure if it is relevant to your situation or not, but usb stuff can be funky in VirtualBox.

I think page 117 of the user manual pdf is the section on USB troubleshooting- check there to see if that helps.
(Easier to tell you where it is than post all of the info here.)

It got mine running perfectly. :)

And note that you should be able to have ehci and ohci RUNNING for access, but not have the devices in use on the host when the guest is using them- in other words, don't mount a usb hard disk on the host AND try to mount in the guest.
Overclocked, watercooled and running Linux.
New to VirtualBox but very happy with it so far. :)
kaiza

Post by kaiza »

Yes, I have read that section and apparently my settings are correct: in fstab I have this line:

Code: Select all

none                   /proc/bus/usb usbfs     devgid=102,devmode=664   0       0
The devgid points to the "vboxusers" group:

Code: Select all

vboxusers:x:102:kaiza
And in fact USB works, only I have to remove ehci_hcd module to do that.
And note that you should be able to have ehci and ohci RUNNING for access, but not have the devices in use on the host when the guest is using them- in other words, don't mount a usb hard disk on the host AND try to mount in the guest.
No no, the only device I set to be used with virtualbox is the scanner, which the program says it's available. :)

I believe there are some problems in sharing ehci, since I've got some other devices that already use it and so VBox thinks it's busy...

k.
rogerdugans

Post by rogerdugans »

Ok, so you already covered the bases I suggested- sorry, but I figure it best to cover the basics first, you know?

Unfortunately I have no other suggestions for you; USB stuff is kinda funky in VBox still, judging by all of the issues people post with it.

Good luck!
Overclocked, watercooled and running Linux.
New to VirtualBox but very happy with it so far. :)