IE7 crashes when openning HTML files on the shared folder

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
goodpanos

IE7 crashes when openning HTML files on the shared folder

Post by goodpanos »

I have two notebooks with the latest Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon and VirtualBox 1.5.2 installed. Everything works great except for IE7. I have created a share via VirtualBox. In that share I have put a website.

When I try to view any of the HTML pages in IE7, I get the following error message and then IE7 exits:

"There was a problem sending the command to the program"

This problem happens on both notebooks. I can open files from the share, browse any page on the Internet or network share fine, I have tried different pages, moved folders around but nothing. IE6 however, works fine. Luckily I kept a snapshot before upgrading to IE7. Safari works fine too.

I want to upgrade and use IE7 so any clue or advice would help.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Try Samba instead of a Shared Folder. Does that work?
goodpanos

IE7 Crash

Post by goodpanos »

Yeah, I could. But I really like to use VirtualBox' native sharing.

Is there a way to restrict Samba to only give share access to VirtualBox?
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Yes, it is.
Use Host Interface Networking and bind samba only to the virtual interface that is connected to the virtual machine (vbox0 or tap0 etc.). In smb.conf set interfaces = vbox0 (or tap0 or ...)
goodpanos

How to bind

Post by goodpanos »

How do I find out which one it is, vbox0 or tap0 etc?
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

It depends on your setup of the Host Interface Networking. There are described two methods in the user manual, the VBox like with vbox0 or the generic one with tap0. It's your decision what to use.
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Ooohh... sorry!
I just see my posting above applies to setup a bridge. But you don't need a bridge because you want to stay local with samba. I suggest to use on your guest one interface for NAT and one interface for samba.
Create a tap0 interface. Appending this to your /etc/network/interfaces should do the thing:

Code: Select all

#tap0:_host=192.168.1.1_guest=192.168.1.2_mask=255.255.255.0
auto tap0
iface tap0 inet static
    tunctl_user goodpanos
    address 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
Restart the network:

Code: Select all

$sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart 
Set an Adapter e.g. thru the VBox GUI to Host Interface and set the Interface Name to tap0. On your guest give the associated interface the IP 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0. Bind samba to tap0 and hope it works.
I have tested samba binding in my special environment and it works. But I haven't tested this setup described here. I hope I haven't made a mistake.