Windows clean and fast shutdown in seamless mode

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
nowell29

Windows clean and fast shutdown in seamless mode

Post by nowell29 »

Has anybody got a clean way of shutting down a windows host using seamless mode? I have created a shortcut on my taskbar that runs shutdown.exe -f -s -t 01, and it seems to work, but it still has to time out because of someone being remote desktop connected (me of course). I would either like to decrease that timeout, or find a cleaner way to do this. This was always a problem with remote desktop (regardless of virtual machines or not) and always made me in favor of VNC for this reason alone.

Any suggestions?
nowell29

Post by nowell29 »

Ok, lets phrase this another way. What are the various ways to shutdown windows while in remote desktop? I would like a fast way to shutdown a headless virtual machine without using the VBoxManage controlvm "machine name" acpipowerbutton or poweroff. If I do this, then Windows wants to check the drive for errors on startup. If I use the shutdown.exe command at DOS, it still waits to shutdown because it prompts for some odd seconds because someone is rdp in (me). Even if I put the time to one second, it will still be about 15 seconds.
This is a windows behavior situation, not a virtualbox situation. Is there a windows registry change that would speed that up? I don't know where to find it.
nowell29

Post by nowell29 »

alright, FYI. I found another MS utility often used for terminal servers http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... x?mfr=true
tsshutdn 1 /poweroff /delay:1 takes two seconds to kick me out of rdp and begin shutdown. The virtual machine was powered off in about 10 seconds total. One big caution here, make sure all your programs are closed and files saved. The /delay command defaults to 30 seconds, so i specified 1 second since I will close all my applications beforehand. Now with a little shortcut icon in my quicklaunch bar, I can shutdown a headless virtual machine in about 10-12 seconds.
Hope this helps someone else.
nowell29

Post by nowell29 »

Ok, so the tsshutdown only works if it is run from DOS, the shortcut doesnt do anything. Anybody got any ideas?
aot2002

Post by aot2002 »

if you change your hard drive to not use write cache you should not fear on disk corruption

http://www.xp-smoker.com/freeware.html