Working games under VirtualBox (Linux host - Windows guest)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
byrd798
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: Heroes Might and Magic V

Post by byrd798 »

kromberg wrote:I am trying to run Heroes of Might and Magic 5 on a virtual XP host. Everything install fine including Direct 9c, but when I try to play the game it complains that it can not execute a program( security thing ) off the original cdrom even though it is in the dvd drive. Is there anything that needs to be set to allow XP gain full access to the dvd drive?

Fedora 8 x86_64 2.6.23.1-42.fc8
Virtual Box 2.1.2 w/ Guest Additions.
When i Attempt to install the game i am getting an error for the game to read an Data4.cab file on disk 3. I'm not sure if it is the disk or what. but is there anything anyone can suggest to get to Kromberg's problem.

Game name (developer, publisher): Heroes Might and Magic V UBIsoft
VBox version : most current that i know of, not at home to check.
Linux version: Ubuntu 10.4
Windows version XP SP3
VBox additions installed? both guest and 3d additions
HowTo install/run/uninstall This is where i'm having the problem
Workarounds/notes? If I can get the same problem I would attempt a cd patch
imomobra
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 7

Re: Working games under VirtualBox (Linux host - Windows gue

Post by imomobra »

Thanks
me20361
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: ?

Post by me20361 »

HELP ME OUT!

i have mac os x lion

my virtual box is windows pro 7 32bit

i want to play just cause 2 the only problem is i can't.

is just cause 2 for windows pro 7 32bit?
were can i download the graphics card for them?
i need step by step screen shot help?
Knupper
Guest OSses: MacOS

Post by Knupper »

stefan.becker wrote:Read the manual and install guest additions.
Installed already. Now everything is working fine!
basketcase
Guest OSses: xp, 98

Post by basketcase »

I wanted to run a vm box just for having to the ability to run RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 in a window. I have a dual monitor set up, but RCT is a full screen game with a low resolution, so it makes it nearly impossible to still use my computer while playin the game/multitasking, unless i want to alway tab+alt out.

I was using vmware but the game framerate stutters too much, and i heard virtualbox had better performance and was free, so i gave it a go, and wow it does run the game much smoother, but i still have low FPS, and also the sound is kinda cracky.

I wonder how to get the best FPS out of virtual box. i have 12gb ram, i7core, evga geforce gtx 560ti sc 1gb, so i should be able to get some thing decent right? i dunno.

I was able to run Age Of empires II just fine. Doesn't work good in vmware but runs great in virtualbox. I'll try some other games.

i think i have my VM the max video memory that i can, but there must be some tricks to getting a better performance.
tatose
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, OS X, Solaris 11, Windows XP, Windows 2008R2, Windows 7

Post by tatose »

basketcase wrote:I wanted to run a vm box just for having to the ability to run RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 in a window. I have a dual monitor set up, but RCT is a full screen game with a low resolution, so it makes it nearly impossible to still use my computer while playin the game/multitasking, unless i want to alway tab+alt out.

I wonder how to get the best FPS out of virtual box. i have 12gb ram, i7core, evga geforce gtx 560ti sc 1gb, so i should be able to get some thing decent right? i dunno.
Same, I did it to run some fullscreen non-unicode (and non-english) games on my windows/buntu hosts. Used Vbox /w clipboard "passthrough" with great effect:

1) Getting AGTH/ITH (game text hookers) running in the guest, and in the background hooking the game's dialogues.
2) Auto-copy the hooked text from the guest to the host via the clipboard.
3) Using ATLAS (or other translators) from the host to translate the text.

I'm glad to say that I could run PC version of Zero no Kiseki (simplified chinese) in the VM,

though there are some annoying graphical glitches, they are not impossible to deal with.

Oh well, I guess this makes other Falcom games playable (Sora no Kiseki, Y's, Arcturus)...
tomreyn
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by tomreyn »

Game name (developer, publisher): MegaGlest 3.6.0.2 (MegaGlest Team)
VBox version: 4.1.8
Linux version: Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric (Linux 3.0.0-15, x86_64)
Windows version: Windows 7 Home Premium, NT 6.1 Build 7601, Service Pack 1
VBox additions installed? Yes, including experimental WDMM/D3D driver
HowTo install/run/uninstall: Download Windows installer from megaglesDOTorg/download.html then run the installer, then run the game

Workarounds/notes?
Selecting units or buildings by clicking on them or drawing a drawbox does not work with the WDMM driver - it may work with the non-WDMM driver (the one you install in safe mode). This factually makes it impossible to select fighter units. Using keyboard shortcuts it is possible to select buildings and idle workers, though. Without fighters this game is pretty much useless, but then there are native builds on Linux, FreeBSD and OS X (in addition to the native Windows builds), too, so there is no need to run it in virtualization other than for general testing.

Since this is my first post here I must not paste any URLs, maybe someone else can edit my post so that this image becomes visible:
megaglestDOTpztDOTme/dx/subdomain/megaglest/img/7/e/8/7e8w.png
wfzimmerman

Post by wfzimmerman »

I need some help getting Paradox Interactive games running on WIndows 7 guest Ubuntu 11 host

Dell Vostrum
Intel® Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4
32-bit
guest additions installed
128 MB video ram
2D and 3D enabled

on starting either Europa III or HOI III I get "failure to create graphic device' and fail.
DevNullBox

Post by DevNullBox »

Hi all!

After finding this great thread, i created a wiki at

http://virtualbox-gaming.wikia.com

I've already posted some articles on the games i currently play (or cannot play) in VirtualBox. I invite you to post your findings in this wiki so we can have a organized knowledge base on gaming in VirtualBox running Windows

Thanks for the great work of all posters here!
twipley

Post by twipley »

Concerning Half-Life 2 -engine-based games (such as Portal):
using the -dxlevel 70 command-line parameter, it does not start (error message says it requires 8.0 or above);
using the -dxlevel 80 or 81 command-line parameter makes the whole virtual machine crash on game-menu loading;
using the -dxlevel 90 (default) command-line parameter, the game crashes and one is dropped back to guest desktop.

(Related) bug ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9022
twipley

Post by twipley »

Minecraft (has issues related to disappearing cursor, or invisible pointer whenever mouse integration is disabled).

Ubuntu host (and lots of others too); XP-x86 guest; Java version does not matter, nor does the version of the game. VirtualBox is at the latest version (actually 4.2.6).

Moving around using the mouse, as with lots of other first-person games, movements are way off whenever mouse integration is enabled. To solve this, HostKey+I has to be pressed in order for it to be disabled. However, deactivating mouse integration makes the game playable, up to the point where menus (an integral part of the game) are accessed, at which point there is no crosshair, although a mouse pointer is lacking.

In other words, one has, often several times per minute, to toggle mouse integration on and off, in order for crafting (an integral part of the game) to be performed.

Besides that, the game works fine. LAN servers are ran over here without any problems either. Great frame rate; great experience, besides the irritating (and most-frequent) need to toggle mouse integration.

Mouse-pointer options (such as enabling trails or showing pointer location pressing ctrl) have been tried but have not been of any help, as there are absolutely no sings of the mouse pointer inside menus.

Here is the bug ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11468

EDIT: here is another ticket that might be related to this issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/997440
Cyberian
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Fedora

Post by Cyberian »

why use a windows guest to run minecraft anyway? It comes as a jar and works perfectly natively on Linux.
twipley

Post by twipley »

Cyberian wrote:why use a windows guest to run minecraft anyway? It comes as a jar and works perfectly natively on Linux.
Minecraft works great under Linux, which is a fact. However, video games here are always fired from under the housing of VirtualBox, which is an habit. I prefer submitting the bug than closing my eyes and not bother with the virtualization. Furthermore, Minecraft server administrators might find it handy to have everything under Windows, as some server tools and crash-fixing software are Windows exclusive. However, thanks for the suggestion for running it under Linux, which mgiht be a temporary solution for many. Until the main problem is found (which I have no idea about its source and whereabouts).
AlbrechtHohenzollern

Post by AlbrechtHohenzollern »

I have a great deal of trouble in running American Civil War:From Sumter to Appamatox, which is an old game, created for win95 and win3.11. I checked the last one (installing it on DOSBox), but the game was hallowed by unending series of error messages claiming that there is ,,no MCI device open" (and the colors in the VGA intros were also wrong-the pictures went whole toxic green and various shades of purple), so I got VirtualBOX, got WindowsME and... It was exacly the same. I was advised to do as follows: support(dot)microsoft(dot)com/kb/142731/en but I cannot change anything-the windows makes all the changes and nothing occurs!

I got a word it used to work on ME on normal computers, not in VM. I even managed to get it runnning on two PCs-one with XP and the other with 2000.

The game is free, as it's developer let it go years ago. It's avalible here: www(dot)old-games(dot)com/download/4160/american-civil-war-from-sumter

What should I do to make it run on VM like on the real machine?