Working games under VirtualBox (Linux host - Windows guest)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
DARKGuy

Working games under VirtualBox (Linux host - Windows guest)

Post by DARKGuy »

Greetings :).

I've recently discovered a few games that work with VirtualBox pretty nicely. I don't know if they'll have issues under WINE or not, but running them under VBox isn't that bad at all.

If the forum moderators allow me, the objective of this thread is to make a list of all the games working on VBox and possibly, bringing a bit of attention to Direct3D/OpenGL development.

If you have a working game please post info about:

Game name (developer, publisher):
VBox version
Linux version
Windows version
VBox additions installed?
HowTo install/run/uninstall
Workarounds/notes?
And last but most important... A SCREENSHOT!!!!

It is really encouraged that smarter people with non-working games please post all the debug info you can about the game (dunno, try debugging them, modify the files, find workarounds) so we can help the developers. I know 3D support isn't really a concern for the VBox developers, but since there's an OpenSource version, let's improve it the best we can, even if it's at least informing of what works, what doesn't and why, don't you all think?

Leaving all this chatter out at last, here's a small list I came up with. I'll be adding more as you guys post more :).

Game name (developer, publisher): Total Annihilation (?,?)
VBox version: 1.5.2
Linux version: Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10
Windows version: Windows XP Professional SP2
VBox additions installed?: Yes
HowTo install/run/uninstall: Just follow the instructions like in Windows.
Workarounds/notes?: Slow/choppy videos, screen goes black if you get into seamless mode and you can't get out of it. Gotta restart VBox.
Screenshots:
Image Image
Game name (developer, publisher): Diablo II - Lord of Destruction (Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzard North)
Linux version: Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10
Workarounds/notes?: Works perfectly. It also works with seamless mode :). Internet play works too.
Screenshots:

Hope the list gets bigger! :D
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

DARKGuy: Thanks, it's really cool !
King_Critter

Post by King_Critter »

Game name: Diablo
Linux version: Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04
Workarounds/notes?: The only bug is a small one, and only graphical in nature -- when mouse integration is turned on, you can see both your regular cursor and Diablo's fancy gothic one. When you turn it off, however, your cursor disapears.
Screenshots:

Another game I tested, Sacred, did not work at all -- the installer wouldn't transfer some .pak files. Oh well -- the game sucked anyway. :P
--King Critter
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Game name: Heroes of Might and Magic III
VBox version: 1.3.x - 1.5.2
Workarounds/notes?: Mouse integration works fully, without any glitches with this game. Excellent Sound.
Screenshots:

I vote for this thread to get "sticky" status by admins.

-Technologov. 1.11.2007.
Dieter Manstein

Post by Dieter Manstein »

Technologov wrote: I vote for this thread to get "sticky" status by admins.

-Technologov. 1.11.2007.
Yep. It'll be very useful!
King_Critter

Post by King_Critter »

Game name: StarCraft
Workarounds/notes?: Same as Diablo -- mouse integration causes your mouse to appear on top, over the StarCraft one. I did not test Battle.net.
Screenshots:
--King Critter
glibdud

Post by glibdud »

Anyone else have issues with Diablo II? The big difference between me and the success stories above is that I'm running a Win2k SP4 guest instead of WinXP SP2. (Ubuntu Gutsy host, VBox 1.5.2, additions installed).

The game hangs when I try to start it. Processes called "Diablo II.exe" and "game.exe" are running, and the latter is reported to be taking 99% of the CPU. If I kill it, I get a dialog box saying "CD-ROM drive error: Diablo II was unable to locate your CD-ROM drive. Please make sure your Diablo II Expansion Disc is in your CD-ROM drive, then click on 'Retry'." The proper CD is in fact in the drive, and the guest OS can see it just fine (I can explore it, etc.)

EDIT: I should mention that the install appeared to go just fine. The video test indicated that it would run in DirectDraw 2D mode. DX9 installed. The guest OS has 1GB RAM and 32MB video RAM.
Shriike

Post by Shriike »

I've had the same problem with diablo II (only using 180mb ram, windows XP guest, 1.5.2 VirtualBox though I installed the game under 1.5)

I just wanna mention real quick the reason it says CD not found after you've run and end tasked is that Game.exe is still running, if you end task on both then you will successfully hang up using 100% of cpu!
Oh and also I'm not running the Diablo Expansion since I wanted to get the original to work right first.
Shriike

WOOT!

Post by Shriike »

glib my man, I did it! I downloaded the patch from Blizzard (1.11b or whatever the latest is called), I ran that, afterwards it started giving me a can't find disk message instead of just hanging, so I restarted, same problem, I closed my VM (saving state), opened the CD drive cleaned the disk, put it back in, restarted the saved state, it worked. I didn't actually play since it's 2:30 and I gotta go to church in a couple hours, but it booted up. I know your post is a little old so maybe you already got it to work, but if not hope this works for you, lemme know if not.
moljac024

Post by moljac024 »

Any game that doesn't require 3d acceleration and is supported by your guest OS will work, there is no reason for it not to.....
Shriike

Post by Shriike »

Oh I forgot to reply to this, the problem is Diablo, it's copyright protection doesn't allow it to play on certain cd drives (I don't fully understand it myself), but anyways if you have the cd crack (I know most people don't approve of it, but I bought the game and this is the only way I can play) or some other way to get around the copyright protection it will work for you.
zellfaze

Post by zellfaze »

Game name: Heroes of Might and Magic
Windows version: Windows XP Home SP2
Workarounds/notes?: Turn off mouse intergration, otherwise you end up with 2 cursors in different spots.
Screenshots:
None yet.

I second the sticky vote
Spamadise.com
erstazi
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: You name it, I test in it.

Civ III With Conquests and Play The World.

Post by erstazi »

Game name: Civilization III with Conquests and PTW Expansion
VBox version: 1.5.0 - 1.6.0
Windows guest version: Windows XP Professional SP2
Workarounds/notes?: This game works fully, no fatal errors or warnings.
Screenshots:
Last edited by erstazi on 31. May 2008, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
neco

Tomb raider 2

Post by neco »

Hi

Game name (developer, publisher): Eidos Interactive Tomb Raider II
VBox version: 1.5.4
Linux version. Ubuntu Gutsy
VBox additions installed? yes
HowTo install/run/uninstall: normal
Workarounds/notes? nothing for now

Neco
bernstein

Post by bernstein »

please make this thread sticky!

I wouldn't have dreamed that VirtualBox 3D Support has come this far, prior to stumbling over this thread!!!

I guess all those games use openGL ? (Blizzard games all are openGL&DirectX as far as i now)

There should really be an official mention that StarCraft & Diablo2 actually work!!!

btw: parallels 3D support is great, but many DirectX games fail to work... luckily some games have an openGL option :-)