Allow the Virtual WIN XP the internet and block the HOSTsys!

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
MezzoMix16

Allow the Virtual WIN XP the internet and block the HOSTsys!

Post by MezzoMix16 »

hello guys,

at the begin i am sorry for my bad english, because i have only school english expirience.

to the problem,
i have installed virtual box successfully on my WIN XP, and i have installed my virtual win xp successfully too. now, i want that my WIN XP (not the virtual) are block for the Internet, and my virtual win xp should be allow to the internet.

at the moment i have blocked my win xp (not the virtual) for the internet, it have the x.x.1.2 IP address. now i go to my router config and block there the IP address x.x.1.2 .

at the next i boot my virtual win xp and set there the ip address to x.x.1.3 . now i want to go with my virtual xp to the internet but it can´t. internet explorer show me that i am blocked for the internet.
at the next step i close the virtual win xp and go to the network settings on my win xp (not the virtual), and now i see a "virtual interface".

i think the virtual interface connect the virtual xo with the normal xp.
but i am not sure.

my problem is, that i want to block my normal WIN XP for the internet, but allow the virtual xp.

How i can do this?

guys, sorry for my bad english, but i hope you can understand me what is my problem.

thank you for.

Kind regards
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Hi MezzoMix16,
I'm coming from Linux hosts but the simplest way to protect your host is to setup a bridge and don't give your host an IP-address. So the clients will be visible thru the bridge but the host never. The disadvantage of this is that you also cannot connect to your host from within your LAN. But if you don't need this it is a very secure method to protect your host (you cannot reach it with IP).