Access one VM from multiple accounts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
geopan
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Access one VM from multiple accounts

Post by geopan »

I have installed VirtualBox on a Mac runing 10.6 and created a Windows 7 VM. How can I make it accessible to other users of the same computer? With VMWare fusion one can move the VM to the /Users/Shared folder and then every account on the computer can access it. I can't get this to work with VirtualBox. Is there a way to do it?
Many thanks
George
Cleanhead
VBox Version: OSE other

Re: Access one VM from multiple accounts

Post by Cleanhead »

I am also looking for this information.

We use VirtualBox 3.0.10-5409 on Mac OS X 10.6.1
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

Search the manual for VBOX_USER_HOME. This allows multiple users to share the same VM hierachy. Remember to set the group access on these files so that all group members have RW access.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
geopan

Post by geopan »

Thanks Terry, but I can't find a way to change the settings for VBOX_USER_HOME. Is there a VBoxManage command for this? Sorry, but I don't even know what an "environment variable" is! I have changed the Global Settings in the VirtualBox main window, but this is only for creating a hard disk and VM at a specified location, not for the other settings. Any info appreciated.
George
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

geopan wrote:... I don't even know what an "environment variable" is! ...
George, I just googled OS X set environment variable and got a load of hits which answer this Q. Mucking around with environments and setting up multi-account access is not for novices. Given that you can do the obvious google search, I suggest that this feature isn't for you. Sorry
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
brianpratt
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7

Post by brianpratt »

Here's a good way to make it work, though it doesn't use the VBOX_USER_HOME as recommended:

http://aaronadams.net/2010/05/02/sharin ... ple-users/

You basically set up symlinks and set the permissions for all the VirtualBox files so all users can access and modify them.
rhman
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by rhman »

I finally got this working through the VBOX_USER_HOME environment variable. I am a novice, so here is how I did it in case it helps someone else... Also, before I did this I set the VirtualBox default locations for Machines and Hard Disks to shared directories.

1. Start Terminal session
2. Type sudo vi /etc/launchd.conf
3. Type "setenv VBOX_USER_HOME /Users/Shared/VirtualBox" (or whatever directory you want to use)
4. Save changes in Vi (hit ESC, hold SHIFT and press Z twice)
5. Reboot your Mac

Doing this, now all users on my iMac can see the same virtual machines. Hope this helps you!

I must credit this post by Matthew that helped me figure out how to set the variable.
OCR14a
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
Guest OSses: none yet

Post by OCR14a »

rhman wrote:I finally got this working through the VBOX_USER_HOME environment variable. I am a novice, so here is how I did it in case it helps someone else... Also, before I did this I set the VirtualBox default locations for Machines and Hard Disks to shared directories.

1. Start Terminal session
2. Type sudo vi /etc/launchd.conf
3. Type "setenv VBOX_USER_HOME /Users/Shared/VirtualBox" (or whatever directory you want to use)
4. Save changes in Vi (hit ESC, hold SHIFT and press Z twice)
5. Reboot your Mac

Doing this, now all users on my iMac can see the same virtual machines. Hope this helps you!

I must credit this post by Matthew that helped me figure out how to set the variable.

When I do step 2, I get this...

"/etc/launchd.conf" [New File]

Sorry for being so ignorant, but I'm not at all familiar with vi, and not very good in Mac yet (though I'm a long-time Win IT guy with some Linux).
What's next?

I don't see how I can do step 3.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

I dont know vi. But i think, with google you will find many howtos to this editor.
OCR14a
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
Guest OSses: none yet

Post by OCR14a »

Ha ha, ya....I'm just too d@mn lazy right now, and in too much of a freakin hurry to get this implemented to take the time to actually learn anything. :lol:

I figured out a limited-solution...

1. create a folder where you will store the VM and all related files to be shared with all users later. This folder can be anywhere, but higher in the hierarchy makes it less complicated to set permissions on. I put mine at the root of the HD, and named it 'VirtualMachines'

2. Move the vdisk file into the newly created folder. In my case, that is the .vdi file associated with the VM. Previously, it resided in the following location…
/users/username/virtualbox vas

3. Move all necessary related files into the 'shared folder'…
a. /users/username/virtualbox vms/vmName.vbox
b. /users/username/library/virtualbox/virtualbox.xml

4. Create a group in 'Accounts' that will be used to give users access to the VM/s (I named my group 'VMGroup'), and place all relevant users into that new group.

5. Change permissions on the 'shared folder' so that 'VMGroup' has read/write access to the folder.

6. Set the permissions to propagate to all child objects with the 'Apply to enclosed items' option.

7. Edit the two files (vmName.xml and vmName.vbox) to make sure the paths all line up correctly with their new homes. You'll just have to open the two files in text editor and look for obvious paths, and change them to match where they are actually located now after you moved them to the 'shared folder'.

8. Add VM for each user
Now, when a new user wants to use the VM, they just have to 'Add' it via the 'Machine' menu within VirtualBox (i.e. NOT 'New' or 'Import', or anything else, but 'ADD').

Now they can all use the same VM.

Of course, it would be nice if there were a way to do it so that I don't even have to help each use 'ADD' the VM, but at least this is better than having to go in and reconfigure all of the settings for each and every new user.

If you have a way of configuring it so that the VM will automatically show up for each and every new user when they first open VirtualBox, please let me know.

Thanks.

Ranger92?