Permission problems with .NET 2.0 Framework?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
J2R

Permission problems with .NET 2.0 Framework?

Post by J2R »

I am running Windows XP within an Ubuntu 7.0.4 host, using VirtualBox 1.5.0. Most apps I've tried work flawlessly, but I've run into problems with one (called SportTracks) which requires the Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework (which I've installed). The application launch fails, with an error message saying:

Type of first permission that failed was:
System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission
The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
Internet
at System.Security.CodeAccessSecurityEngine.Check

Now, I've had this application running perfectly on a 'real' Windows XP installation, so I'm pretty certain it must be something to do with VirtualBox. Are there any known problem areas with .NET 2.0 which I should be looking at?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Try to change .Net Settings with caspol.
J2R

Post by J2R »

stefan.becker wrote:Try to change .Net Settings with caspol.
I'll look into caspol. Just puzzled as to why things should be different in VirtualBox as against a 'real' Windows installation.
J2R

SOLVED!

Post by J2R »

Apologies for wasting anyone's time on this. It was simply that I had accidentally installed SportTracks on a network share instead of a local volume, hence the rather different security requirements.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Therefore you need Caspol. But on local drive its better, therefore good playing :)
J2R

Post by J2R »

stefan.becker wrote:Therefore you need Caspol. But on local drive its better, therefore good playing :)
Yes, indeed, your tip was a good one - caspol would let me resolve the issue if I needed to keep SportTracks on the network share. Once I reinstalled it on my local drive, though, the permission issues were no longer relevant. Thanks for the help anyway!