media center not working in windows 7

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
WindieDragon
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7 and maybe XP

media center not working in windows 7

Post by WindieDragon »

I have some recorded files that I want to watch (they were recorded on the Media Center of another machine running windows 7), but I keep getting the message: "Video Error. Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer" when I try to open the file. Obviously, if the restarting had helped I wouldn't be here. I also used to have the "TV and video may not work as expected because the video card does not meet the minimum memory requirements of 64 MB of video ram" warning but it doesn't appear anymore. I don't think I did anything to make it go away though o.o...

From all the googling I've done today, I remember something about uninstalling the video driver that guest additions gives you, but I have no idea where to go to do that.

I have two graphics cards: nvidia GeForce 9400M and 9600M GT. I even did the auto-driver-detect thing on nvidia's site, and it said that VB was the maker of the currently installed driver.
The host is a macbookpro os X Leopard.

And it really sucks because everything else is working perfectly: audio, USB and CD mounting, sharing folders, internet connection, and even pressure sensitivity on my tablet. D:
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: media center not working in windows 7

Post by Sasquatch »

MCE requires some advanced graphics, just like Aero. If you don't have 3D enabled for the Guest and installed the GA with 3D support (best to install it from safe mode to prevent system files from restoring, breaking the 3D support). I won't give you much chance to get it working, because 3D is still experimental and not all features are working (hence no aero). If you want to view the files, open them with WMP or on your host directly.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
WindieDragon

Post by WindieDragon »

Sasquatch wrote:MCE requires some advanced graphics, just like Aero. If you don't have 3D enabled for the Guest and installed the GA with 3D support (best to install it from safe mode to prevent system files from restoring, breaking the 3D support). I won't give you much chance to get it working, because 3D is still experimental and not all features are working (hence no aero). If you want to view the files, open them with WMP or on your host directly.
I see. I didn't install it in safe mode, so I'll have to try that. Do I need to uninstall them before I do that though? And will my already set up sound drivers and sharing folders still be there if I do uninstall and reinstall?

Watching these recorded files was one of the reasons I got windows 7 and VB in the first place. They are recorded in a format that only Windows 7 Media Center recognizes (already tried playing them on Vista's Media Center and that didn't work). So unless someone knows of a converter or plugin for .wtv files for mac, I'm stuck with trying to get them running on VB :(
WindieDragon

Post by WindieDragon »

Err sorry, I didn't read that thoroughly enough, about using media player. It seems to be a worse quality, but it'll do :). thanks, I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier... I'll still be trying to get WMC to work though.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Maybe you'll find this post useful: http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/18/converting-wtv-files/
Read the comments too, quite useful if you want to change the files from the crappy MS proprietary junk.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
RalphFFM

Post by RalphFFM »

Hello. I am having the same (or appears to be) problem.
No real answer could be given here that is why I am reposting to this thread.

I too have the error: "Video Error. Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly.
Restart Windows Media Center or restart the Computer."
when trying to play videos or streams in the
Windows Media Center (WMC).

I need the virtual environment as a development and test area for WMC apps.

I have installed Virtualbox with Win 7 Ultimate with SP1 32 bit onto a host OS running Win 8.1 64 bit.
I too have a Nvidia Geforce graphics Card. The Card is a 9600 GTX+ updated with the newest driver.

In the Virtualbox configuration I have tried all possible video and audio configurations I can think of.

Any ideas?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

RalphFFM wrote: Any ideas?
I just tested my Windows 7 guest and Windows Media Center is playing videos without a problem. Is Aero working in your guest? if not, you didn't install the guest additions properly.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
RalphFFM

Post by RalphFFM »

Thanks.
I uninstalled the Guest Additions and reinstalled in Safe Mode.
I ensured that the Checkbox for 3D and Aero was checked by the Installation.

After installing, I troubleshooted Aero-effects from the Desktop->Personalize GUI.
Here I was told that my graphics card does not support Aero.
Device Manager shows the Virtualbox Graphics Adapter.

Windows 8.1 on the host, naturally does not have Aero. But my card certainly can support the Overhead and WMC works on the host.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

RalphFFM wrote:Thanks.
I uninstalled the Guest Additions and reinstalled in Safe Mode.
I ensured that the Checkbox for 3D and Aero was checked by the Installation.

After installing, I troubleshooted Aero-effects from the Desktop->Personalize GUI.
Here I was told that my graphics card does not support Aero.
Device Manager shows the Virtualbox Graphics Adapter.

Windows 8.1 on the host, naturally does not have Aero. But my card certainly can support the Overhead and WMC works on the host.
first, the guest additions should not be installed in safe mode in Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1.
the problem is not your card. I'm not sure what you mean by "I ensured that the Checkbox for 3D and Aero was checked by the Installation.". I have nothing to check for Aero in the guest settings in VirtualBox. Make sure when installing the guest additions you check Direct3D and when it says 3D support is experimental and asks if you want to install DirectX instead you choose no.
RalphFFM

Post by RalphFFM »

@loukingjr: Thanks. That solved it. Everything works.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

RalphFFM wrote:@loukingjr: Thanks. That solved it. Everything works.
most welcome.
N0YB

Post by N0YB »

Have this same problem here. No matter how I install Guest Additions; in safe mode, not in safe mode, basic 3d, or wddm for aero. It always says the graphics card does not support aero and WMC will not play videos. WMC says the files needed are missing, not installed or something to that effect... restart ...

VB 4.3.10
Host: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit on Intel NUC 3217 IYE
Guest: Windows 7.1 Ultimate 32-Bit SP1 (tried with all Windows Updates Applied and with None Applied)

Can't get Aero to work and can't get WMC to play videos.

Have tried so many permutations it's getting blurry.
Please help me out.
Thanks
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

N0YB wrote:Have this same problem here.
actually your problem is not quite the same because what I said to do worked for Ralph. first if you installed the guest additions in safe mode you have to remove them in safe mode. Aero nor WMC will not work without the WDDM driver. You need to make sure the guest additions are removed both in safe mode and in normal mode then start again. Make sure both 3D and 2D are checked in VirtualBox for the Windows 7 guest. If there is still something wrong and Aero and WMC are not working you may have a bad .iso or DVD of Windows 7.
N0YB

Post by N0YB »

My meaning of "same problem here" is that media center is not working in windows 7. Per the thread subject. Not that the root cause is exactly the same.

Anyway...

Uninstalled the guest additions from both safe mode and normal mode. Then installed guest additions with Direct3D (WDDM for Aero, not basic 3D) in normal mode. No improvement. Both 3D and 2D acceleration is selected in Virtualbox Win7 guest settings.

Using the ISO downloaded from MSDN, and have verified the SHA1 hash is correct. So don't think it is the ISO.

Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1 (x86) - DVD (English)
File Name: en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x86_dvd_u_677460.iso
SHA1: 65FCE0F445D9BF7E78E43F17E441E08C63722657

I'm open to idea's, but about ready to give up. Just not sure it's worth much more effort.

Thanks
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

N0YB wrote:I'm open to idea's, but about ready to give up. Just not sure it's worth much more effort.
Thanks
I think your problem may be because of the "Intel NUC 3217 IYE". VirtualBox may not be able to run correctly on it. Someone else may have a better idea.