Windows XP Installation Problem

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mrohan01

Windows XP Installation Problem

Post by mrohan01 »

When attempting to install Windows XP into VirtualBox (v.1.38, binary package distribution, Ubuntu Feisty), I'm getting an error at the point that the Windows installation is attempting to load the Partition Manager.

I'm getting two different errors, though I'm not sure what causes one to show and not the other (could be memory / disk space / video memory allocation settings). The first error claims that fdc.sys is corrupted. The other error is a bit more involved, and, unfortunately, I don't have the exact text in front of me at the moment, but can post it later.

Has anyone else experienced any problems with installing Windows XP in the environment described above? From what I've seen in the forums, it seems that most have experienced no problems with the installation.

TIA for any input to this issue.
esmithbss

Post by esmithbss »

I'm experiencing a similar problem (XP installation crashes), but I'm not certain what the XP installer is doing at the time.

I've specified that I need the partition formatted as NTFS, but within a few moments of this, the installer does something that actuall shut's down my Ubuntu Fiesty box.

Didn't have this problem with any of the Linux distros I've tried in VirtualBox, but so far, I haven't been able to install XP.

Don't know whether to :D or :cry: about that, but it's certainly frustrating.
achimha
Volunteer

Post by achimha »

Try with VirtualBox 1.4.
mrohan01

Post by mrohan01 »

I did finally resolve this soon after my post. It turned out to be a problem with my video driver (NVIDIA v.1.0-9755). The driver would install correctly (or seem to). I then tried to install XP into VirtualBox (without rebooting the machine after video driver install - I know, bad move) and the Windows XP installation would fail. When I rebooted the machine, X would fail to start because of a conflict with the video driver and the kernel I was using. Once I got that resolved, then the Windows XP installation worked without any issues.

I don't know if that helps you out at all, since my issue had nothing at all to do with Virtual Box in the first place, just a strange side effect of a faulty configuration of Ubuntu.